Roaring 20s by Wooltonian - part 1

So the story begins.
1920's Liverpool, rickets diphtheria pox and TB were the main threats, but the Liverpool forward line looked just as dangerous when in full flow.

Match 1

I've taken the basis of every match from the Football Echo of the time. 
This is the most comprehensive story of Liverpool Football Club in the twenties, available on the net.



1920 Everton vs Liverpool

Headline of the Day
"Liverpool's Astounding Goals at Goodison"

Liverpool Line up

Goal Keeper

Right Back  Left Back
Longworth  McKinlay

Right Half   Centre Half   Left Half
Lacey      W Wadsworth Bromilow

Right Wing    Inside Right    Center Forward    Inside Left    Left Wing
     Sheldon        Forshaw            Johnson         Chambers     H Wadsworth

Lucas was a doubtful starter for today’s game as announced in the early additions of the “Echo”.
It appears that he got some nasty knocks and therefore Longworth had to be in readiness in case the little man had to drop out of the side.

Goodison Park looked a study.  The gate was probably the best ever seen. Although it is difficult to estimate, the crowd looked like it had exceeded 50,000 and the receipts are almost certain to have touched £4000. It was a fine day and a fine crowd and at 2.45 the only space unoccupied was at the very ends of the various stands.

The band of the Heswell Nautical School played a selection of tunes prior to the start. At the Bullen’s Road corner, the crowd was so dense that it swayed dangerously and a break through to other areas looked a distinct possibility. Extra police were drafted in to this corner and the entrances to this part of the ground were closed.

An official of the club told the Echo reporter that this was the biggest crowd he had ever seen on the ground. When the teams appeared it was noticed that Longworth had returned to captain the Liverpool side in the absence of Lucas. Down’s won the toss and set Liverpool the task of facing the sun, but there wasn’t much to be gained as the sun’s power was very slight.

Liverpool made the first attack and Forshaw was kept out when nearing the Everton goal area by a fine tackle from Brewster. Downs had to reply to another good effort from the Liverpool forwards, when Chambers broke forward from a neat through ball by Bromilow. Everton’s first break ended with Reid’s cross hitting a poor fellow on the back row of the terraces after a clever move which had seen him pass both Lacey and Longworth.

Peacock had the first clear shot at goal and it came from a throw in which W Wadsworth failed to check, but the shot went over the crossbar and once again hit the unlucky fan on the back row.
At the right hand side of the Rice Lane terraces the swaying of the crowd was so severe that to relieve the pressure, a large number of fans were allowed inside the barrier. So far the play had been keen, good and fast, but as yet neither side really settled down to a rhythm. The best moment came in the next minute when a nice solo run by Johnson enabled him to put Chambers into possession at a favourable moment and the inside man drove in a terrific shot that struck the outside netting.
Chedgzoy was applauded by both sets of fans for some capital play although McKinlay was alert enough to utilise the effort. Sheldon came into the picture at this moment and his pass to the left was with a good idea, although it brought nothing tangible.

Liverpool pressed hard and the forcefulness and weight of Chambers had it’s effect, when he made an opening for himself in spite of him being surrounded by three opponents. He was loudly applauded by all sections of the ground for this fine effort on the Everton goal and before the ball was finally cleared, Fern gave another corner. Forshaw rose magnificently and headed toward goal and Bromilow finished up the move by toe-ending the ball outside the left hand post.

There was no denying the fact that Liverpool were playing excellently and their continued pressure on the Everton goal was only the natural result of their fine preliminary work.
Sheldon forced a corner off McDonald and Bromilow dropped a ball dangerously near the Everton goal line. Downs got the better of a duel with Chambers and brought off a capital clearance just after Peacock had been held up by McKinlay. The pace of the game increased as did the noise on the terraces and during the first quarter hour the game must have been a record for fastness.

When Johnson scored for Liverpool at the end of fifteen minutes, the Anfielders only got what they were entitled to on the run of the play. It was a most remarkable goal and the manner of scoring not in the least stereotyped. Chambers made a miss-pass, Johnson got possession a couple of yards from the Everton goal line. It was anything but a scoring position and Johnson appeared to reduce his chances of getting the ball in the net when attempting to beat McDonald.
The Liverpool centre forward however, from what apparently seemed like an impossible position, tapped the ball forward and sent it past Fern in a very clever fashion. The amazing feature of Johnson’s goal was that he had had to leave the field of play to make the goal possible.

Liverpool should have gone two up when Forshaw broke clear of the Everton defence minutes later, but a fine save by Fern was greeted by applause from all quarters of the ground. Crossley went close for Everton minutes later after some fine work on the wing by Chedgzoy, who had made some delightful runs and well judged centres. McKinlay was very clever in defence , and Longworth, although he did not display the same finesse, was just as sound.

A bad mistake by Longworth rather tarnished his early performance, for Peacock must have scored had he not been prevented from getting the ball when the Liverpool defence was well beaten. Downs was not always true with his punting from goal kicks, and the ball several times skidded in a direction far from what was intended. In attempting to head out a fine shot by H Wadsworth, Downs headed the ball over the cross bar, a risky proceeding, as with a little less elevation. the ball would have easily beaten Fern and would have been one of the finest headed goals in Derby history. Downs was much more satisfactory a moment later, when he replied to a drive from W Wadsworth with a header in the right direction, which completely cleared the Liverpool attack.

Wave after wave of Liverpool attacks where then dealt with admiringly. If it wasn’t for a Stonewall attitude by the Everton rear guard Liverpool could well have put this game beyond reach. On a rare Everton attack, the ball cannoned off McKinlay to Chedgzoy and the speedy winger, after eluding Longworth, drove in a beautiful shot which Scott handled in masterly style.
Scott also dealt with a volley from Brewster when he nonchalantly tipped the ball over the bar.

With the half time whistle approaching, Liverpool added to their so far, solitary goal and to be fair, it was thoroughly deserved on the balance of play. Sheldon took the ball almost to the corner flag, while McDonald hesitated in his challenge. Sheldon centred clean and crisp, and Chambers rose magnificently to head the ball home into the corner of the net. The goal was greeted with raucous applause from the Boys in the Bullens, but other parts of the ground remained silent. Such a shame as the goal was worthy of total adoration.

Harry "Smiler" Chambers grabbed two goals

Half Time Score
Everton 0, Liverpool 2

The first item of interest in the second half was provided by a fine solo by Chedgzoy, which was finished off with a spiffing shot. Only to see Mr Scott clear it up field with a volley which amazed all assembled. Shortly after which Downs sold Johnson an amazing “show room dummy” to end a Liverpool attack. Sheldon had forced the first corner of the second half, but sadly he sent it behind the goal line before it came back into play. From the next corner by Harrison the crowd were entertained by what can only be described as, an overhead bicycle kick by Crossley, but this was well saved by the agility of Scott.

Everton were having their best spell of the game, mainly through the cleverness of Harrison, but Scott was equal to any end product Everton could produce. On one of their breaks McKinlay appeared to handle the ball while on the ground, but this went unnoticed by any of the officials.

At 10 minutes into the second half Liverpool scored their third goal. It was a long raking shot by Chambers and the ball had a tremendous swerve on it, so much so that initially, Fern was heading in the wrong direction. As he appeared to have edged it away sadly he could only reach it with his finger tips and it into the corner of the net it flew at an astounding pace. Two minutes later Chambers was denied his hat-trick, by a mind boggling offside decision by the line official.
Fleetwood was clearly half asleep when the Everton rear guard charged forward and sadly Chambers was denied what was a clear goal.

Liverpool’s cleverness and superiority were now very obvious. They were permanently “camped” in the Everton half and one was wondering if they had considered setting up market stalls. On a rare Everton attack a fine shot by Brewster was once again thwarted by the silky skills of Elisha Scott, when he pushed the blistering shot onto the post.

The game maintained it’s incredible pace throughout and was far more entertaining than both Liverpool and Everton’s previous fixtures put together. There was more skill, incident and finish in today’s contest and Liverpool’s superiority was there for all to see.

Everton’s first home defeat of the season was indeed to worthy opponents. A well known ex-player was heard to say that after that display by Chambers “he must get his cap” and we at the Liverpool Echo would heartedly agree. He was magnificent in every area on the pitch.

Today there was not one solitary weakness in the Liverpool side and they were deserved victors.
Scott had another magnificent performance and his save from Grenyer toward the end, once again proved he is the best between the sticks. W Wadsworth gave a towering performance today and I can hardly remember a single instance when Reid had any reward for his efforts. Lacey and Sheldon were magnificent on the Liverpool flank, both complimenting each others style of play.
Sheldon had the better of McDonald all game long and it was all to often that McDonald ended the move, by up ending the little tricky winger. Although Chambers was rewarded with a brace today, Forshaw’s tireless efforts kept Fern’s hands warm all afternoon.

BEE’S Comments
The fastest and best Derby game I have ever seen.
The footwork, artistry, trickery and combination play was excellent.
The game was a credit to all the players who took part.
Here’s a hearty handshake to them all.
The Liverpool side was full of understanding and awareness and capable in all departments.
Lacey at Centre half last week, was very recognisable today he was brilliant.

Everton Old Boy’s View
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a faster game between the two sides and I have seen most of them.
I thought Liverpool’s dash and superior finish entitled them to the honours today, but surely their second goal came half a minute after the whistle ought to have gone for the interval. Johnson’s goal was a wonderfully fine one and Chambers was a model of good judgement in the air, even with Downs in the Everton team. Chedgzoy was Everton’s star performer, but even he would pay praise to Bromilow’s work. Lacey dominated the middle of the park for the whole game and for this I would award him man of the match.

Casual Comment (by F.E.H)
Two weeks without a tedious railway journey serve to emphasise the great truth of the adage “there is no place like home” The tremendous enthusiasm both on the park and on the terraces which these matches engender
makes one understand something of the joy of life and the tiresomeness of travelling.

And now ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, for the harmless, necessary Jingle

Derby Day ; Derby Day
Once again the rivals play,
Blue on Red and Red on Blue
With a useful shot or two
And a cannon now and then
Just to waken up the men
Other sports may make for good
Stir our spirits and our blood
But our troubles to forget
None has ever been fashioned yet
Since the flood or since the fall
As that with the big leather ball

Editor's Comment
Although there was a good humoured crowd today, there was an occasional rift in the lute of harmony when some mentally deficient person decided to introduce us to a student rattle. Amidst all the racket being made by the said person, why his immediate neighbours didn’t incontinently throttle him is one of those things which as Dundreary would have said “No fellow could understand” 

When Liverpool took to the field first and they received a welcome from almost two-thirds of the ground, the question was raised who in fact was at home. It was widely suspected from those present, that the Anfield supporters had started to arrive earlier than usual thus ensuring a majority holding on the terraces. A spokesman from the police said this would be monitored in future meetings to ensure the home side had sufficient space, thus avoiding any necessity for Everton fans to have to stand beyond the barriers.

Waiting for a bus after the final whistle proved a long wait for some.
Most decided Shanks pony was a better option.


We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!