Evening Express report


Goodison gates Closed 10 Minutes Before Kick-Off.

The Man who waited from 7 A.M.

Astonishing Cup-tie day scenes were witnessed in Liverpool today. From an early hour thousands flocked to Goodison park, with Everton and Liverpool as their only topic of conversation. Never before has such a hustle been seen in the vicinity of the famous Goodison ground. Merseyside had caught the cup-tie fever badly. Ten minutes before the kick off the gates had to be closed. It was a “full-house.” The first Cup-tie spectators arrived at Goodison Park at 7 a.m. He was a Liverpool supporter and he came from Waterloo. He took up his stand outside a turnstile in Goodison road while it was yet dark. In his coat was a huge red and white rosette. “I arrived here at 7 a.m.,” he said to The Evening Express. I have not missed a Liverpool match for years, and I was determined to see the match today.” “Yes, it was rather cold when I first arrived, but it is worth it.” This ardent enthusiast was joined by half a dozen other fans about 8.30, and by 10.30 there were more than a hundred forming three queues, outside the turnstile. Every minute others arrived. Nearly everyone sported a red or Blue favour. Some of the fans carried rattles. The first woman to arrive took her place in the queue at 1030 a.m. She had come from Walton. There was a nip in the air, though not the sort of nip that warms a Scotsman, and people in the queue shivered and turned their coats collars up as they settled down for a four hours wait –until the turnstile started clinking at 12-30. The portable breakfast was in criqence. Spectators who had carried a meal from home in pockets or cases are as they discussed the Great Match prospects. The early arrivals of course were only the merest handful compared with the crowds which came later, for –in the modest words of the showman –“The Greatest show on Earth.”

Today's Motto.

Apart from the mounted police, more than 100 police constables were on duty on the ground, and more than that number of stewards were on duty to marshall the crowd. “The more you are together, the more of you will see” was their motto. Many Cup-tie fans combined the advantage of an early arrival with cheap train transit by booking workmen's ticket to Liverpool. To do this they had to leave their home stations not later than 8-30. They did not all make their way at once to the ground. Some of them had a look round the city first and wandered into cafes and restaurants. The Hatton Gardens headquarters of the tramways had worked out a scheme to transport the bulk of the spectators to the ground by tramcar and Omnibus. More than 100 tramcars were on through express services. The first tramcar to leave Victoria-street at 11-30 was quickly filled, and then a followed a successive of tramcars filled to capacity by the waiting queue. Order tramcars were concentrated in Castle-street, at Garston, Woolton, Smithdown -road, and Seaforth. Special tramcars were put on outside Bankhill Station, for the benefit of people from Southport. It did, not need a Sherlock Holmes to pick out intending spectators. The blue and white rosettes of Everton and the red and white favours of Liverpool were seen everywhere. There were busy scenes at the Liverpool railway stations. At Exchange Station, trains from Southport and district arrived crowded with fans. Special excursions from Llandudno and Holyhead arrived at Lime-street and during the morning Cup tie spectators poured in from Wigan, St. Helens, and Runcorn. At Central Station, trains from Manchester were well filled. The four quenes at Goodison-road grew rapidly as the hours passed. As they waited the fans amused themselves by cheering one another and shouting, “Where's Dixie.”

Rattles, swung vigorous kept their owners warm, while all kinds of Red and Blue favours were being sold by Vendors who met with a ready sale. These favours ranged from red or blue roses to celluloid dolls dressed in red or blue, names of star players being stamped of them. The crowds were boisterously cheerful. “All seats now guaranteed,” was one catch phrase they shouted. Some of the fans wore Blue or Red bowlers and sashes of similar colours. There was a great demand for hot tea and coffee, which was supplied from the shops in the vicinity. There were remarkable scenes outside the Goodison ground soon after the gates were opened. Queues, which seemed never ending, stretched from Goodison-road into Walton-lane. By 1 p.m. thousands of spectators were already in the ground but still they came. Crowded tramcars arrived every minute, while motor cars taxicabs and Omnibuses set down hundreds more. A strong force of foot and mounted police marshalled the crowds. There were happy crowds. What was a bump or a push on a day like this? Rapidly though the turnstiles worked, spectators arrived even more rapidly.

57,000 see sensational start to the cup battle.

Dean scores in 15 seconds!

Reds' Fighting Reply.

Gunson Equlaisers; Thrilling a Minute struggle

By the Pilot.

Everton 1, Liverpool 1 –a fitting representation of a first half packed with thrills. Undaunted by a lighting shock –Dean scored in 15 seconds. Liverpool staged a great fight back and Gunson's goal ten minutes from the interval was well deserved. Liverpool had the better of the exchanges, and Sagar saved Everton on several occasions. Critchley stood out as the best on the field, with dean a wonderful leader.

How the Teams lined up.

Everton; Sagar, goal; Williams and Bocking, backs; Clark, Gee and Thomson, half-backs; Critchley, White, Dean (captain), Johnson and Stein, forwards. Liverpool; - Scott, goal; Steel and Jackson, backs; Morrison, Bradshaw (captain) and McDougall, half-backs; McRoie, Hodgson, Barton, Wright, and Gunson, forwards. Referee W.P.Harper, Stourbridge.

The days to days, the match of matches so far as Merseyside is concerned –Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park. I have rarely seen conditions so orderly and quite in Goodison Road, but inside the ground there were more than 50,000 spectators, with the start of the game three quarters of an hour away. At one o'clock there were 25,000 spectators on the ground. Obviously the local enthusiasts had taken the tip of the Evening Express and arrived early. There was the usual banter among the crowd, in fact, it was one deafening din with balloons, coloured hats and favours much in evidence. Fortunately there was little crushing, and the ambulance men had not so much work to do as I expected. Wonders! The bottleneck at the end of the Goodison-road stand was one of the most sparsely packed spots in the enclosure. Everton had taken good precautions. Three policemen were posted on the roof of the popular covered stand –theirs was a cold job! The ground had been sanded as a precaution against frost.

Ground conditions.

It appeared on the soft side, but the surface was far from slippery. Liverpool were in the fortunate position of being able to field a full-strength side. Wright reappearing after some weeks absence owing to injury, and Bradshaw turning out despite the fears of pleurisy. Everton were not quite so fortunate. Warney Cresswell was absent for the first time this season. Bocking, who played at right back in the opening matches of the season, appeared at left back. The Lord Mayor, Alderman J.C. Cross was given a real Liverpool cheer when he entered the directors' box. There were two spectators in the crowd who had come all the way from Aberdeen. There was a sharp and tricky wind blowing across the field. The general weather conditions were good. Everton had three times overcome the Reds in former cup meetings. The Blues must have been encouraged by their 3-1 League victory at Anfield, but still, from the talk around the main stand, Liverpool were expected to prevail on this occasion. Ten minutes before the start the paddock was becoming uncomfortable –so much so that the gates had to be closed. They were swaying in this portion, but the remainder of the ground was not overcrowded, though of course, well packed. The boys' pen was closed before two o'clock.

The Game. There was a tremendous cheer from the teams took the field, and another when Dean and Bradshaw went out to toss. Bradshaw guessed wrongly, and so the Blues had the advantage of the wind. Liverpool looked strange in their somewhat vermilion coloured jerseys.

They're Off!

“They're off” There was a shout reminiscent of the racecourse. The ball is worked to the Liverpool left flank, Everton miss a tackle. Hodgson weaved a scheme but Thomson intervened and Ted Sagar, who cleared with a big kick. Dean anticipated better than Morrison, gained possession and in feinting to feed Stein turned the ball inwards keeping it under control. Bradshaw came across, but again Dean gave the dummy, then worked cleverly towards the centre. Another dummy, and Steel had been given the go-bye, finding Dean with only Scott to beat. The crowd were on their toes, and everybody was shouting “Shoot.” Dean did it with his left foot, and as Scott went full length the ball scraped the post and entered the net in 15 seconds. What a sensation. Fifteen seconds, and the Blues a goal to the good. Liverpool rolled up their sleeves but when Critchley was getting away Jackson fouled him. McDougall cleared the free kick. Sagar, helped Williams by coming out to gather, and when Liverpool piled on the pressure Everton scrambled the ball away. Critchley raced past all opposition and won a corner. This returned to White, who screwed the ball over the ball. After a bout with Gunson, Williams carried a mark over his eye, and then McRorie, getting away with a good field, weakly placed over the dead line.

Wright's cleverness.

Wright dribbled on the proverbial six-pence and was fouled. McDougall took the free kick and tried to find Hodgson. The ball travelled a little too fast. Critchley came back with a timely intervention dribble before Stein turned the ball into Scott's arms. This was really intended for a centre. Hodgson was pulled up for a foul on Johnson, and Gee's free kick was pereintorily fisted away by Scott with Dean striving hard to get his head there. Liverpool won their first corner when Williams adopted the sliding tackle to hold up Gunson. Then when Critchley had easily out maneuvered Jackson, Bradshaw intervened, with delightful skill and precision. Liverpool were battling merrily, so much so that Sagar had to run out to save a corner and then Barton receiving from McRorie flashed a lovely drive over the bar. The Reds piled on the pressure, and with Gunson centring precisely, McRorie let go a lovely ground shot, which Sagar turned out in beautiful style.

A Thrill.

This was a thrill, Everton became panicky, and when McRorie put across a low pass with no colleagues in position Sagar and Williams had a misunderstanding only for Sagar to prove equal to the occasion. Scott saved Liverpool on two occasions in the next minute. Dean accepted a through pass, but the ball ran too fast, and Scott was able to come out and clear. Dixie wheeled round Jackson, and was in the act of shooting when Scott came out and took the ball from his toes. This was 100 per cent excitement, and there was a further thrill when McRorie slashed the ball across to Gunson, and the Chester boy took a flying shot with his left foot, which Sagar saved in miraculous fashion. Bradshaw beat Dean in a heading duel them, following a free kick to the Reds, William's anticipation alone prevented the equalising goal. Everyone, including Sagar, misjudged the kick, and the ball was travelling towards the net when Williams turned it out with a last minute kick. The ball came across to Wright, who could not get through the barrage, and Everton survived the raid only by unceremonious kicking and interception.

Lucky for Liverpool.

It was now Liverpool's turn for a narrow squeak. Critchley was finding Jackson comparatively easy meat, and now good work by him saw the ball being edged back from Dean to White and Johnson. White took the shot, while realising his mistake in not allowing Johnson to take a pot, and the ball screwed off his foot many yards wide. The Reds attack was a lively one; in fact, Liverpool had enjoyed slightly more of the territorial advantage and were fighters every inch of them. Sagar fisted away from Morrison before McRorie placed straight across the goal, with Gunson unable to get up in time to try a header. Stein tried a long shot without getting direction before some brilliant Everton tackling got them out of difficulty. Following Thomson's free kick Dean shot on the top, Scott making a wonderful save. Everton kept it up, and Dean swerved before making another great drive, which Scott again saved.

Scott Safe.

Critchley was right on the quivive, and he left McDougall gasping before centring and giving Dean another chance to test Scott. Scott was as safe as the Bank of England. Bradshaw said, “Thanks you” when Johnson and Stein had a misunderstanding and Barton appeared to be on good ground. He elected to enlist Gunson's aid, and re you could say “Jack Robinson” the Everton tackle had won. Clark and Wright were given a word of advice by referee Harper before Dean was baulked by Stein as he was looking goalwards. Again Gunson was there, but Clark's tackle made things right for Everton though he suffered an injury, which did not keep him inactive long. Hodgson delivered the through pass, which Barton hit first time, Sagar being right on the spot. There were many free kicks for minor offences, and from one Williams headed away for Johnson to send Critchley away happy. Critchley did his work well, but Scott just stopped Dean, and when Stein headed in Dean was adjusted offside.

The Equaliser.

The 38 th minute saw Liverpool draw level, and it was no more than they deserved. Gunson was the score, and the goal followed a free kick for a foul on McRorie by Bocking. McRorie was cutting towards goal when Bocking tripped him from behind. McRorie took the free kick himself, and placed hear the far post. Thomson had time to clear, but made a fatal dally, and ere Everton could recovered Gunson had turned the ball into the roof of the net. Justice was served, for there is no doubt that Liverpool had been plugging in right royally. Despite their early reverse they had battled away with an honesty of purpose which was a positive joy to see. Their forward work was a treat. It was a stern game. There were fouls, but these were the born of enthusiasm more than intent. Gunson made a glorious run through at top speed before turning the ball across to the unruning Wright. The ball ran top fast for the inside left. The quick tackle also helping to keep him at bay. Liverpool made an appeal for a penalty, but this was quickly turned down. Liverpool were on top when the interval was sounded.

Half time Everton 1, Liverpool 1.

The first half had seen Liverpool enjoying more of the exchanges. As a matter of fact their tactics had upset the Everton machine to a great extent. Their attack was good, though hardly as methodical as Everton's in which Critchley stood out as their best man on the field, with Dean a wonderful leader. Barton had done well but Liverpool owed most to Bradshaw and Scott. McRorie was proving a real winger. On resuming Everton were once again into their stride, and Dean was running large when he went between the defenders, Liverpool escaping with a corner. Everton kept it up, and following another raid from the right, Dixie sprang through as a likely scorer, until Bradshaw nipped across and did the necessary. Then Clark took a long chance but was off the mark, and when Hodgson made away Sagar had to be quick to clear. Dean adopted the fast-header pass just before Wright was getting clear, Liverpool suffering the misfortune of the ball running over the dead-line. From every spot around me I could heard the words” A reply on Wednesday. Well, these were two equally matched eleven's fighting with the energy which only cup-ties produce. Dean was criticized for a non-intentional foul on Jackson and Liverpool used their first half methods for the kick and rush game, which turned many balls running too fast into goal kicks.

Cup-Tie Fever.

From a throw in Wright jumped his usual and headed the ball just over the bar. The crowd had caught the excitement, and there was incessant cheering in matter where the ball was, which side was attacking, or who was doing the good work. Liverpool were certainly marking as they had need to for Dixie was in one of his best moods. After Thomson has burst through and tried his well-known head passing, but Johnson's shot was off the mark. Williams had to be quick to intercepted when Wright and Hodgson were looming close. Sagar saved a cross shot from Gunson shot, Dean turned the ball over for Johnson to sky over the bar. Everton were overcrowded in a pack and Dean trying to give his inside forwards a chance and then when Critchley middled Bradshaw won the ball and was injured for a matter of minutes. Thomson kicked away when Liverpool flashing work brought the home goal in jeopardy. McRorie was improving on the left wing and when he received a straight tackle from Gee. This brought a penalty claim, which, of course, came to naught.

Liverpool Steadier.

Liverpool were playing with more confidence than Everton, who were pressed to be over anxious in their passing. This was proved with three successful mistakes when there was plenty of time and no worry. Following a quickly taken free kick Critchley found himself away. Received a centre and Dixie's them with a nod gave Stein the opportunity for a cross shot. Stein's effort went right across the goal to rest just behind the dead line. The game proceeded at a terrific pace, and Everton far from their usual self owing to the tenacious work of half-backs. Jackson pulled up Dean with a brilliant tackle. Critchley was still standing out as the best man, who could not be stopped, and now he passed a ball, which Stein nodded in, to the goalmouth. Dean could hardly reach the ball to place himself a scoring chance.

Liverpool Lead.

Liverpool took the lead in 71 minutes with a grand a goal as I have seen for years. Hodgson made one of his well-known runs, and Gunson received. Instead curling the ball, Gunson slashed it into the goalmouth and Hodgson from ten yards to head into the net in good fashion. It was a great goal, beautifully executed and the Liverpool supporters jumped with excitement. As it was Everton's turn to buckle in, as if ever a team tried, they did. Critchley placed to the goalmouth in all out attack and Dean made a brave header, which seemed a certain goal until the evergreen Scott let out to pulled the ball down with two hands. In my mind this was the greatest save this day. Everton piled on full pressure, and consequently on top, so much so that Williams ran almost to the Reds' dead line to place balls in front of goal. It was a wonderful struggle with the scales moving one way and then the other with Liverpool adopting usual produce in falling back on defence. It was raining slightly, but who cared. Everton were monpolising the game, but Jackson, after a poor first half was having marvellous football, saving his team when everything seemed lost. Just after fully eight minutes contested pressure Liverpool broke away Barton squared the ball Sagar saved to prevent Gunson shooting. Everton were inclined to keep the ball moving, Stein on the left was almost through. Everton's crying hopes were raised when Stein was fouled close in. Stein's free kick brought the shooting chance, but no one was there quick enough to give the necessary tap, as Liverpool fortunately scrambled it away. Everton had a corner which Stein but swiftly behind. Then McRorie centre to Sagar's arms Hodgson fell into the net. Their were tremendous scenes of excitement when the final whistle blew, there is no doubt that the more deserving side had won its way into the fourth round. Liverpool's secret plan had obviously been to put Everton off their game, and despite an early reverse they had done it. The Everton machine had been harnessed, and one could put admire the fighting spirit of the Liverpool defence once they had gained the lead. It had been a great struggle, one in which there had been plenty of fouls, but nothing evil. The heroes of the match had been Scott Jackson, (for his second half work), Bradshaw and Gunson for Liverpool. Dean, Critcley, and Williams were the best players on the losers' side. Final. Everton 1, Liverpool 2.


By Ijay.

12.32 –Ground open.

2.15 –Lord Mayor arrives amid tremendous cheering.

2.28 –Teams enter ground together.

2.29 –Dean win toss.

2.30 –Wright kicks off.

2.30 –Dean scores for Everton, Misunderstanding between Morrison and Bradshaw.

2.35 –Gunson was offside with all Liverpool forwards waiting for a centre.

2.36 –Morrison makes a great tackle on Johnson.

2-39 –Scott makes a good save from Johnson's drive, 30 yards range.

2.41 –Gunson forces a corner from Williams, while Bradshaw brilliantly holds up Critchley.

2.43 –Sagars saves well from Gunson's centre after wonderful work by Wright.

2.44 –Barton shoots inches over from outside the penalty are. Sagar makes a wonderful save from McRorie

2.46 –A misunderstanding between Williams and Sagar may easily have cost Everton a goal, but no Red forward was up.

2.47 –Sagar makes another glorious save, this time from Gunson.

2.48 –McDougall injured, but recoveries and is able to carry on.

2.51 –scenes of tremendous excitement in front of the Everton goalmouth when Williams kicked away Hodgson's header practically off the goal line.

2.53 –White misses a great chance of adding a second for Everton, slicing the ball when he shot.

2.55 –McRorie beats two men, cleverly, but fails to keep his centre in play.

2.57 –with Sagar and Williams on the ground, McRorie crosses the ball in front of the Everton goal, but Gunson racing in, had no chance to reach it.

2.59 –Steel given a great ovation for two smart pieces of work in holding up Stein and Gee.

3.0 –Stein shoots over, and then tests Scott with both head and foot.

3.1 –Barton provides Gunson with a chance, but instead of going through he passes back.

3.2 steel again holds up Dean in great fashion.

3.4 –Clark's foot injured. Resumes after treatment.

3.5 –Barton receives the ball and races through, but Sagar makes another good save.

3. 8 –Gunson equalises! This goal came after Bocking had fouled McRorie.

3.15 –Halt-time; Everton 1, Liverpool 1.

3.25 –second half begins

3.27 –Everton force a corner.

3.32 Johnson headed outside, after Jackson had partially cleared.

3.36 –McRorie has a clear run, but is ruled offside.

3.37 –Sagar makes a sure catch from Gunson.

3.38 –Johnson shoots behind from Stein's centre.

3.39 –Gunson sends in a glorious shot, Sagar saves in marvellous fashion, foot of the post.

3.40 –Gunson again shoots behind.

3.41 –Steel comes to rescue with an excellent clearance just as Stein is about to shoot.

3.42 –Bradshaw winded, but recovered.

3.44 –Clark tries a first time kick, but is off the target.

3.46 –Stein misses an open goal after a perfect pass.

3.47 –Barton almost through, but is crowded out.

3.50 –Jackson brilliantly holds up Dean.

3.51 –Hodgson scores for Liverpool, Gunson started the movement.

3.52 –Scott makes a glorious save from Dean.

4.0 –Everton pilling on pressure, but Liverpool defending strongly, Jackson playing the game of his life.

4.1 –Liverpool break away, but Barton and McRorie cramp each other.

4.3 –Bocking miskicks, but Williams comes to the rescue.

4.4 –it is something to see Liverpool attacking again.

4.5 –Only five minutes to go, and Liverpool still leading.

4.6 –Hodgson has a great chance of scoring, but shoot's wide.

4.8 Sagar's saves from McRorie and also from Barton.

4.10 –All over now –Liverpool have won 2-1 and have reached the 4 th round amidst scenes of tremendous excitement.

Copyright - Evening Express - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!