- Birthdate: 17 January 1915
- Birthplace: Buckie, Banffshire, Scotland
- Other clubs: Buckie Thistle, Buckie Rovers,
Buckie Wanderers, Forres Mechanics (1935-36), Buckie Thistle (1936-37)
- Bought from: Buckie Thistle
- Signed for LFC: £150, 24.02.1937
- Liverpool debut: 16.10.1937
- Last appearance: 16.10.1937
- Contract expiry: 1938
- Win ratio: 0% W:0 D:0 L:1
- League games / goals: 1 / 0
- Total games / goals: 1 / 0
Smith arrived at Liverpool for a trial in February 1937 along with Buckie Thistle teammate George Calder. Smith impressed sufficiently to be signed up, but Calder returned to Scotland. The forward's only appearance for Liverpool's first team came on 16 October 1937 in a 2-0 away defeat at Wolverhampton. In January 1947, Smith was appointed manager of Buckie Thistle. He had fought in World War II and had the rank of Captain and been awarded the Military Cross for bravery in Burma, where he lost a leg on the battlefield.
Appearances per season
Wrongly named as Arthur in Who's Who by Doug Lamming. Our source got that corrected by members of Alexander Smith's family.
A more detailed look at the player's appearances