- Birthdate: 11 June 1953
- Birthplace: Kendal, England
- Other clubs: Netherfield (1971-73), Bury (1973-74), Dallas Tornado (loan 1978), Oldham Athletic (1978-82), Hong Kong Rangers (1982-83), Barrow (1983-84), Morecambe (1984-88), Barrow (2 / 1988-93)
- Bought from: Bury
- Signed for LFC: July 1974
- Contract expiry: August 1978
- Honours: European Cup 1977; UEFA Cup 1976
- LFC league games/goals: 0 / 0
- Total LFC games/goals: 0 / 0
Goalkeeper who earned two European gold medals as he was on the bench against Bruges in 1976 and Gladbach in 1977. McDonnell moved to Oldham and made 137 appearances in four years, before heading east to feature for Hong Kong Rangers. McDonnell returned to England in 1983 as player-manager of Barrow in the Northern Premier League. He stepped down as manager in November 1984 although he remained as a player, but subsequently left towards the end of the season as part of a mini-exodus of Barrow players to join Morecambe. McDonnell returned to Barrow in August 1988, quickly establishing himself as regular first team 'keeper, and remained with the club until the summer of 1993, making a total of 345 appearances. He was considered by many the best 'keeper in the Conference, where he won the FA Trophy with Barrow at Wembley in 1990.
McDonnell is currently a referee in the Lancaster Honda North Lancashire and District Football League and a Westmorland Football Association council member.
Appearances per season
A more detailed look at the player's appearances
||On the bench
McDonnell may move - 1978
Second hands - LFC Official Matchday Magazine