Liverpool Daily Post report

The Liverpool Club yesterday fulfilled their rearranged League engagement with Bury. The meeting was of paramount importance to both teams, for while the visitors were keen on the championship, Bury were struggling desperately for points in order to escape relegation to the Second Division.

The match attracted an attendance of at least 10,000, and a hard-fought game resulted in a goalless draw. Except for the absence of Jack Cox, the Anfielders were at full strength, the outside left position being on this occasion filled by Garside. The Bury team was scarcely at full strength, and their ranks underwent considerable rearrangement.

Liverpool won the toss, and Raisbeck decided to face the wind. Kay set the ball in motion, and Bury at once made play on the left, but they were well checked by Parry and West. A breakaway by the visitors gave Holmes and Lindsay considerable trouble, Goddard eventually shooting over.

Bury at once took up the running and Kilbourne had a shot, but it went very wie. Neat work by Robinson and Goddard was nullified by Holmes, and a second progressive movement was spoiled through Raybould being pulled up for offside just as he was about to shoot.

End to end play kept the spectators upon the tiptoe of expectation, and the home supporters became rather anxious when it was seen that the Anfielders were much the cleverer team. In spite of the breeze they moved forward with clock like accuracy, and after Raybould had been dispossessed by Lindsay, Garside sent wide.

A string attack on the part of the Bury left wing was finely dealt with by West, and Raybould, again getting hold, worked his way through and passed to Hewitt, who in turn gave to Goddard, but the latter just missed the ball and it ran out of play. The Anfielders at this point were distinctly the stronger side, but a sudden dash down by the home left looked ominous, and Murphy finished with a swift, low shot, which just failed to beat the wide-awake Hardy.

The Bury forwards now began to put on great pressure, and it was only the coolness and confidence of the Liverpool defence that averted disaster. The three inside men – Leeming, Kay, and Swan – were prominent in a most promising movement, but it ended in the first named shooting wide. A second attack by the home side was splendidly broken up by Raisbeck, who passed out to Robinson, and the latter, dashing in, shot just outside the upright.

The game continued to be fought at a very fast pace, and the home side profited by the wind to such an extent that they were kept both West and Dunlop continually on the qui vive. Both the Liverpool backs, however, were in fine trim, and after a time the Anfielders made ground on the right, Robinson losing possession when in an excellent position.

Another forward movement by Liverpool saw the three inside men all try their luck without success, and a long drive by Raisbeck came to nothing. The Bury left wing was next prominent, and Leeming put in a ticklish shot, which Hardy dealt with very comfortably. Liverpool then advanced grandly on the right, and Hewitt, who was rather out of his ordinary course, put in a magnificent centre. Monteith ran out to meet it, and Raybould coming up at the same time, caught the Bury custodian in the face with his foot. Monteith’s left eye was rather badly cut, and the game was suspended for some moments.

On resuming both goals were visited in rapid succession, but each team seemed too excited to do itself full justice, and many chances were lost. A bad mistake by Lindsay let Raybould in, and after working through he passed to Garside, but the latter was too slow. At the other end the home left wing was particularly busy, and Murphy, beating West, put in a swift, ground shot, which, fortunately for Liverpool, passed just outside.

Towards the interval Bury made desperate efforts to score, and on two occasions Dunlop only just managed to clear his lines in the nick of time. The Liverpool left back, who had been in collision some time before, was now limping badly, and this did not look well for Liverpool’s chances in the second period. Just before half-time Raisbeck ran through his field and passed out to Garside, who shot in splendidly, and the situation was only saved at the expense of a corner. This proved of no account, and the next movement was a breakaway by the Bury left, Murphy only missing the net by inches.

Liverpool retaliated on the left, and Garside forced a corner, but this was cleared after an exciting struggle, and at half-time the score stood – Liverpool nil, Bury nil.

On crossing over the game was contested at an even faster pace than formerly. The home left wing at once ran down, but West effected a clearance. The Bury forwards, however, returned immediately, and Murphy shot just over the bar. The Anfielders made a move on the right, but there was no “devil” in the attack, and Holmes was enabled to clear.

Then the home forwards took up the argument in most determined fashion, and Leeming looked almost certain to score when West so hampered him that Hardy was able to come out and clear. The game was now of the most ding-dong fashion, and Hardy was ill-advised in granting a corner from a pot shot by Leeming. This, however, came to nothing, and after a period of scrambling play the Liverpool forwards worked their way close to Monteith, but Hewitt was admittedly offside when he netted the ball.

The Bury team subsequently exerted themselves in the most unmistakable way, and clever forward work on the left terminated in Murphy sending in an admirable shot, which the Liverpool custodian was very smart in clearing. Liverpool were by no means following up the promise of the first half, and it was quite a relief when they managed to make ground on the right, but Goddard, although in fine position, and not appear to hurry himself in the slightest degree, and at least a possible goal went begging.

Bury were not slow to make the supineneas of their of their opponents, and a fine breakaway on the left ended in Kay putting in a magnificent shot, which only Hardy’s vigilance and Dunlop’s backing up saved from scoring. Towards the close Liverpool tried long shots without success. Bury, in turn, pressed, but nothing of moment happened, and the game ended, as previously intimated, in a draw, neither side having scored.

Copyright - Liverpool Daily Post, 03-04-1906 - Transcribed by Kjell Hanssen

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!