Liverpool Football Echo report


Everton Gain Goals by Stevenson and Dean in Goodison Derby
Sagar Astounds Liverpool Forwards.
By Bee.

I do not propose to comment, being content that the reader will follow every line of the report, to which there is nothing to add, except “Bravo” Liverpool “Bravo” Everton; a great and glorious game, with the tide flowing against Liverpool after Sagar kept them from a comfortable lead. Teams: - Everton: - Sagar, goal; Jackson and Cook, backs; Britton, Gee and Mercer, half-backs; Gillick, Cunliffe, Dean (captain), Stevenson and Coulter, forwards. Liverpool: - Hobson, goal; Dabbs and Blenkinsopp (captain), Busby, and Bradshaw, half-backs; McDougall, Nieuwenhuys, Taylor (P), Howe, Wright, and Hanson, forwards. Referee Mr. Gould, London. Morning glory turned to afternoon of slight mist for another of these wonderful meetings of Everton and Liverpool at Goodison Park. The pre-match feature of the game was the absence of colour in the crowd. Here and there one or two blue and white berets –not a redcap, other than perhaps a military M.P, and a silence not common to these games. Doubtless the spectators were saving their voices for the afternoon’s “work.” The stands were soon filled, but in the ordinary portions there seemed to be an ease unusual in these games. Therefore my estimate of the crowd was 52,000. In last year’s match at Goodison Park, Everton played the 18 years young King, in goal. Today, Liverpool played Hobson, still in his teens, and these two, along with Geldard are the youngest players to figure in a Merseyside “Derby.” At the other end one cites the case of Elisha Scott, who guarded the “narrow way” two years ago, when well beyond the 40 marks, and, what is more did not let a shot escape his vigilance. The sporting partnership was continued when the teams came out to public view side by side. The referee was Mr. Gould of London.

Lively Opening.

Liverpool won the toss and Everton kicked towards the Aintree end. Right away Gee fling the ball up the middle, where Bradshaw made his first of many headers of the day. Vic Wright began with a crossfield pass which “Nivvy” gathered but merely turned outside –not a common waste in his (Nivvy’s) armour. The game had got the pent-up spectators into a state of favour within sixty seconds. The trusty Hanson having received a pass from Phil Taylor crossed the most perfect ball one could wish to see. Sagar tried to cut the ball with a one-hand slug and barely connected with the ball, so that Hanson charging like a warrior bent on a goal in a minutes, missed the ball and went into the rigging of the net. But Everton had saved a sensational deficit. Phil Taylor, in the first effort, went down in pain, and one feared an old injury had been revived, but fortunately that was not the case, and Everton now had their strong moments in attack. Busby, who had started with a perfection pace and a little jugglery against his rival juggler, Stevenson was not altogether accurate in his placings, and when Cunliffe pushed to outside right it was a blindfold pass, because he had not see Gillick change to the centre-forward berth. “Nivvy” joined in the defence, and his speed overcame Stevenson’s notions. Everton must have imagined this Liverpool could not possibly be the side that had played at Chelsea; the Reds were new revolutionaries, and their form surprised and pleased everyone who had seen the goings on at Chelsea. The referee’s whistle was not sufficiently loud for all the players to hear in the din made by the spectators. The result was that a free kick at the Aintree end means nothing in “Nivvy” life and he went ahead and shot hard, the ball striking Sagar on the shoulder. All of which, of course, was love’s labour lost. Mercer let in “Nivvy” and a second offence; this time lawful, and the ball did not run just suitable to “Nivvy” desire so that he had to hesitate before shooting, and that split second meant the Everton goalmouth was covered in.

Hammer Lock by Bradshaw.

Bradshaw put the hammer lock on Everton’s close passing, and the big man went up the middle of the field, taking long strides and eating up the ground, with the result that Hanson was able to make more danger for Sagar whose catch was as secure as he had shown in the game at Bolton. Jackson was unable to stem Hanson until that player fell and took a divot, hurting his leg at the same time. Both Hanson and Phil Taylor missed when one expected them to score, and Everton’s position because so troubled that Dean chased to outside right centred like the complete winger Gillick falling into the central berth. But Gillick flinging himself for a header, merely turned the ball far from goal. Stevenson was once more baulked on the right flank by McDougall, and Vic. Wright helped the defence in hearty manner, hoping for a bonus for his new son’s money box. One wondered how long Liverpool would last the pace they were settling themselves. The Everton forwards were erratic in their finish, but Blenkinsopp had to kick off the goal line at the left-hand corner of the post from a muddling raid. Another jumbled up raid, with players on the ground, and Liverpool’s defence harassed was cleared after much tribulation on the part of Dabbs, Blenkinsop, and Bradshaw and again Gillick was out of place sizing up a chance of taking a goal as a centre forward. The “highest today” as the cynics call it was delivered by Dabbs, who put a ball as high as the roof of the grand stand. So far Liverpool had been their customary revelation, and when Gee failed to time a clearances, half topping the ball. “Nivvy” shot with rage and haste, and Sagar’s clearance by turning the ball round the left post was a beautiful save. The corner that came from it led to McDougall making one of his few, but enlivening drives, and Sagar stood firm as a rock, to clear the ball, and the force of his save sent him flying to the floor. Sagar had been the outstanding man of the match, and had prevented Liverpool taking the toll. Sagar came back to his best form last Saturday, and has already gained honours for the Inter-League, and today his meritorious conduct badge should gave him all the confidence he may need.

Stevenson Starts Revival.

Everton realised the need of something very special, and Stevenson was the man to create the revival. His centre across the goalmouth enabled Gillick to crash in once more as a middle man rather than a winger, and Gillick must have been inches off connecting the rod towards goal. Stevenson later decided to have a go and his shot sounded against the concrete well, having missed its way to the desired net by four of five yards. Jackson continually found Hanson a labour, and on the other side of the field Coulter now moved off in his own uncommon way, and this meant Dabbs found the Irishman extremely difficult to hold off and to keep in subjection. Coulter’s first accurate centre was the sort of grit Dean dreams about, but –believe it or not –Dean for once made a bad header. So that Hobson’s choice became a goal-kick, and probably he was very thankful for it. A second time Dean headed, but his challenge of the Liverpool backs was earnest and strong, and Dean could not get the situation to his liking.

Everton’s Greater Chances.

The ball was netted but once in half an hour, and the decision against Howe for offside was a sound one. Everton’s greatest chances were recorded at this moment. Dean patented a forward pass, the like of which he must yearn for, and he offered these priceless gifts to Gillick. In each case Gillick had but the goalkeeper to beat, because his pace had carried him through close to goal. But to everybody’s amazement Gillick spooned the ball over the bar. The cost of such wanton finishing was shown when Liverpool were away on the right wing and “Nivvy” might have scored. Jackson being unable to get the ball away and letting in “Nivvy” for a second chance, the Everton goal escaping through Jackson kicking away after Sagar had saved. But the best save of all was credited to Sagar for turning Hanson’s pile driver over the crossbar when every Anfielder had already shouted “Goal.” Hobson later risked some injury in saving his goal, and selected to throw the ball to the touchline.

Half-Time Everton 0, Liverpool 0.

“Nivvy” and Phil Taylor changed places, and Liverpool resumed where they had left off, in first-class hearty attacks. Sagar was hesitant about coming out with the defence all at sea to a lob by McDougall, and Everton were extremely fortunate to escape a goal and a second later a shot from Vic Wright was sailing for home, but Struck Jackson and knocked him out. It looked as if Cunliffe had resumed too early after his injury, he developed a limp, while Cook and Gee required attention. The game was now one-sided, and the Everton forwards had no trophies on their sideboard. Dabs and Blenkinsop, two unerring full backs, took the goal kicks for Hobson at varying times, and I should rate Busby’s appearance, apart from his expert play, the mainspring of Liverpool’s astounding returns to their best form. The only comedy touch in this stern game came when Coulter caught a high ball just over the throw-in mark, and placed the ball and himself read for the thrower. The guard on Hobson, plus the frail efforts of the Everton forward line, caused the Liverpool goalkeeper to have a comfortable innings. Everton’s defence was equally tainted and slow moving, and it was well for Everton that Cook chased across the field to stop the roving “Nivvy” shooting a goal. Everton now showed unmistakeable signs of being rattled as well as unsettled. There was an old-fashioned ring of joy and applause when Dean, out on his own on the left wing, decided to perform his own operation from first to last. His shot had some pace, but swung a yard too high –a splendid old-time and old fashioned effort. Dean was working with the enthusiasm and fire of three men, and once more trekking to the left he shot what would have been a sinner but for Bradshaw, whose clearance at the goalmouth turned the ball upward and against Bradshaw’s arm the cry of “penalty” being a foolish one. Busby and Stevenson interlocked with resultant pain to Busby, but one is happy to say this had been another of the perfectly clean “Derby” games, there being two free kicks for fouls in one hour –which is sufficient testimony to the control of the players and the referee. Everton continued their revival by Britton, who now performed prodigious attacking, and Gillick keenest of all to get a goal, made a well-directed header, which Hobson caught. Everton had now caught the spirit of adventure, and they went up to score at the 64th minute of play. Stevenson was the scorer into an empty goalmouth, and three forwards had helped to make this goal, Cunliffe moving off towards centre and lobbing the ball forward to Coulter. The Irishman’s challenge to Hobson seemed to have failed when the ball passed onto to Stevenson, whose task, while joyful, was definitely a comforting and simple one.

Blenkinsop Hurt.

This was a cruel blow for Liverpool, because they had been so much the better side, and the more likely to score at any moment until an hour had passed. But worse was to befall the Liverpool side because Blenkinsop fell when no one was near him, and apparently ricked his left knee. This was the cruellest blow of all, and Liverpool now had to play Hanson at left back, and Wright had to carry the left wing task. It was a thousand pities that Liverpool should have suffered two blows in two minutes after their sterling display, and it was nice to think that the Everton trainer joined up with the Liverpool trainer and the Liverpool manager, Mr. George Kay, in giving attention to Blenkinsop, who returned after five minutes delay to the passenger outside right. Nothing would go right with Liverpool and their cup of bitterness was filled when Bradshaw fell in the middle of the field near the penalty box, and thus left Gillick with a ready made chance. The boy who had been most keen to score now back-heeled the ball to Dean, who looked around as though aiming to pass the ball to an unmarked comrade, instead of which he proceeded to use his feet in a dribble, and eventually fired in a shot from six yards range to make the score 2-0 at the 73 minute. This was a complete turnover of the fates and the fortunes of football war. While congratulating Everton upon their lead, one had to confess that this was a result almost unjust to the Liverpool side. The blows to the visitors had taken all the heart out of them. While Busby had been their mainspring of attack, Britton and Dean had been responsible for the uprising of Everton, while Gee had not allowed Howe to use anything like his normal form. Phil Taylor now appearing as outside left, fell as Blenkinsop had done when no one was by his side, and he was no more than a hobbling passenger. Blenkinsop took a corner kick in his new-found post of outside right, and an excellent effort caused the goalkeeper to edge the ball over the bar for another corner kick. Dean made another great shot, which Hobson saved, despite the pace of Dean’s drive. Final Everton 2, Liverpool 0. The official attendance was 57,587.

Copyright - Liverpool Football Echo - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!