Liverpool Daily Post report

Making Chances Tell
Everton’s Second Away Win
Defence Bars Way To Liverpool.
Exciting Finish.
By L.E.E.

Five minutes from the end of the Liverpool-Everton match Everton led by 2 goals to nothing. The game was as good as over and the tremendous pace of the first half hour, and its general knockabout character had told its tale. Liverpool were a beaten side and Everton were hanging on, giving nothing away, and making sure their new style defensive formation paid its full dividend. At this point Nieuwenhuys set the game alight with a fine headed goal and we were assured one of those enlivening finishes where the team which seems to be played to a standstill gets a goal and opens up possibilities of a storming finish. That Liverpool failed to get a second goal is history, but the surprise packet at least helped the match to finish on a note of excitement. So Everton took their second away bag of the season, and Liverpool suffered their second home failure. There was justice in the final reckoning 2-1, in Everton’s favour and Liverpool‘s goal showed those who were not present there was not a great deal in it, after all.

Score Matches The Game.

The score matched the game. Everton made their chances tell, and Liverpool who began in whirlwind style with some fine work on the Eastham-Hanson wing, petered out gradually, but surely, in face of the covering up of Gee, his full backs and the wing half-backs, who, whatever their faults in production of the ball for those ahead were always a man too many for Howe. Taylor and Eastham. Not having seen Everton before this season their display impressed me as being in keeping with the general trend of football policy. They did not use the full force of their attacking ranks as they used to; there was no inclination on the part of Gee and other to roam upfield and Lawton, Trentham and Geldard generally raided as a threesome. Everton did not enjoy half the number of chances which came Liverpool’s way, but that did not prevent them from being more methodical and knowledgeable with them. For instance, Trentham (who with Lawton carried the distinction of scoring in his first game against “the neighbours”) soon found the way to goal when a free kick against Rogers –for a foul against Geldard –was put out to Geldard, in his right position. Dougal passing the ball across to the left, from where Trentham squeezed it between Kemp’s out-flung arms and the post. There was scarcely space for the ball to pass through, but Kemp’s effort was a fraction too late and this, his out semblance of a mistake, allowed the important leading goal. That topped off one of the finest fifteen minutes play at Anfield this season. It went against the grain in more than once sense, but there it was. Before halfway Everton had made it 2-0. Dabbs fouled Geldard when there was no danger of that player scoring and the penalty kick was a big shot success by Lawton.

Everton In Their Best Light.

Everton began to believe in themselves to place the ball surely and the second half showed them in their best light, with Geldard using his speed to its full extent and Lawton making some headway at the expense of the hard working Rogers. Liverpool degenerated to the degree where good chances are fritted away through the failure of anyone to make the strategic pass at the right moment, and they were 100 per cent less effective in this part of the game than they had been in the first twenty minutes. Nieuwenhuys’s goal was inspiring, but coming so late, left little time for the revival that seemed imminent. Looking back, there was a great efforts of shots. There were two good free kick efforts in the first quarter of an hour, but apart from these and Lawton, and Trentham’s successful ones, there was hardly one worth recording. And here a word of praise for Sagar for his safe calling with a number of high balls with the challenge of opposition alongside to make them doubly difficult. Sagar was perfection, even admitting Liverpool’s failures.

Howe And Taylor Held.

Gee’s play was “made” for the domination of Howe and Taylor, neither of whom was seen to advantage. So with Jones sturdily baring. Nieuwenhuys’s speedy runs –particularly in the first half –Liverpool were left to the intricate of Eastham –after too marked as the game went on –and the continuous stream of centres from Hanson. Whatever success was allowed the Liverpool wings, as wingers there was a solid look about Everton’s centre of the field defence, and the jittery nature of the opposition made their job the easier. Busby, I thought, had a good match, and Mercer’s rambling, never-say-die; half-back play would have been bettered only if he had no misplaced the ball so often. Lawton led his line with hospice the close attention of Rovers, used Geldard and Stevenson proved themselves the better wing, notably in the second half. Harley kicked a good ball, and always had a little in hand on Trentham. The players came out side by side, went back in almost the same formation, and were well governed by Mr. Dedman, the referee. The only mistake of any consequence he made was when he allowed Liverpool to win the toss and then line up for the kick-off. Well done Everton; hard luck, earnest losers! Teams: - Liverpool: - Kemp, goal; Harley and Dabbs, backs; Busby (captain), Rogers, and McDougall, half-backs; Nieuwenhuys, Taylor, Howe, Eastham and Hanson, forwards. Everton: - Sagar, Cook and Jones (je), backs; Mercer, Gee (captain), and Watson, half-backs; Geldard, Stevenson, Lawton, Dougal, and Trentham, forwards. Referee Mr. E Dedman, of Blackpool.

Copyright - Liverpool Daily Post report - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!