Daily Courier report



A draw of 3 goals each was no bad result of the Derby match at Goodison on Saturday. It was a fast game, abounding with the thrills for the 50,000 spectators present. It was rather remarkable that Everton should score in the first and last minute of the first half. In between that time Liverpool had scored two, so that the teams crossed over level. A dense mist crept over the ground midway through the first 45 minutes, and it began to look as if the game might be stopped. During this period it was well-nigh impossible to distinguish the players on the far side of the field. The mist lifted later, however, although the light for the rest of the play was none too good. Without being a brilliant game it was full of incident, and was always interesting.


Six goals is a fairly liberal measure for one match. It is true that early this season, when the clubs met at Anfield a half-dozen were served up, but on that occasion five of them went against the Blues, and the unevenness of it knocked some of the interest out of the game especially for Everton supporters. On Saturday the positional and combined play of Everton struck one as being rather superior to that of their rivals, but there was at no time much between the sides, and right to the final whistle it was anybody's game. The Blues were able to play Sam Chedgzoy at outside right, but had to bring in Livingstone for Raitt at back, Raitt's injured ankle not being well enough to permit his playing. The Reds had Hopkin back on the left wing, who was having his first game with the team since breaking his collarbone. Walsh came in to inside right in place of T. Scott. Hopkin by the way, put up a great show on the wing. There were those who feared that the injury would have made him somewhat nervous and cautious. Not at all. He played a confident and masterly game all through, and had a great share in the goal-getting. Irvine had the Blues' supporters cheering tranically when within a minute, he scored the first goal. It was an oblique shot from close in, and gave Scott no chance. Sixteen minutes later came the equaliser from a capital centre by Hopkin. Forshaw seemed to be going to get it, but was hampered by the backs, and Oxley running in, drove the ball sharply into the net. Play went from one end to the other, and neither side could be said top have the advantage. Both Dean and Forshaw hung well up the field. Forshaw gave the Reds the lead at the end of 22 minutes. The ball came to him near goal, and he booted it into the net right away. Of course, not it was the turn of the Reds' supporters to cheer, and cheer they most emphatically did. The Blues retaliated pluckily and forced two fruitless corners in succession. Dean got his head to the ball once, and it was not far out. O'Donnell went off injured, but resumed a little later. Just as the referee was getting ready to blow his whistle, the blues equalised. Chedgzoy who, by the way, had put in some capital runs and centres shooting past Scott following a determined Everton attack.


Fifteen minutes after the resumption, the Blues went ahead, the score being a sequel to good work between Troup, Chedgzoy, and Dean, the last named finishing the movement by getting his head to the ball and nobbing it skillfully into the net. It almost seemed as if Liverpool said to themselves; If you're going to score, so are we.” And score they did a few minutes later, Forshaw getting the ball past Hardy from one of Hopkin's centres. That was the end of the scoring. As has been said, it was not a bad result, Forshaw and Hopkins were the sharp points of the Liverpool attack, but after a quiet start Oxley besides scoring did a great deal of useful work. Not so much was seen of Chambers and Walsh. Chambers tried hard, but somehow or other some of his best attempts were smothered by the opposition before they became dangerous. So far as Walsh is concerned, he may not fully have shaken off the effects of his injury. Bromilow and Cockburn tackled and passed well, the placing of the former being particularly accurate at times. McNabb worked hard, but had a warm handful to deal with in O'Donnell and Troup. McKinlay and Lucas put in some sound work at back. Scott could not be blamed for the shots that beat him. Dean is a dangerous forward near goal, as was demonstrated, and when he gets going needs some stopping. He was well supported by the rest of the Blues' front line, which gave the impression of being rather better balanced than Liverpool's. Peacock, Bain, and Virr at half-back played up to their reputations, and McDonald and Livingstone repeatedly broke up Liverpool's raids. Like Scott Hardy had no chance with the shots that beat him. Teams: - Everton: - Hardy, goal, Livingstone, and McDonald, backs, Peacock, Bain, and Virr, half-backs, Chedgzoy (captain), Irvine Dean, O'Donnell, and Troup, forwards. Liverpool: - Scott, goal, Lucas, and McKinlay, backs, McNabb, Cockburn, and Bromilow, half-backs, Oxley, Walsh, Forshaw, Chambers, and Hopkin forwards. Referee Mr. Aston.

Copyright - The Daily Courier - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!