Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury report




The first of the local “Derbys” games between Liverpool and Everton was decided at Anfield on Saturday, and resulted in an easy win for Liverpool by 5 goals to 1. The goal scored by Everton late on was the first Liverpool have conceded at Anfield during the present season. They might have yielded many more goals, however, had Everton taken the exceptionally easy chances that came their way. This, however, was Everton's great failing. They could not shoot accurately, and although the actual play did not reveal such a wide margin between the sides, there was a difference in finishing which fully justified the final score. As an exhibition the contest fell much below what was anticipated, chiefly because Liverpool scored easily and often. Instead of having to fight hard for their points, they had their progress to victory made exceptionally easy.


There were two periods in the game when Everton's faults were glaringly apparent and when they should have credited themselves with more than one easy goal. Faulty shooting prevented them gaining what their excellent work really entitled them to. Early on Chedgzoy missed an open goal, and in the second half Kennedy faltered and failed with openings that almost begged to be converted. On the other hand, Liverpool missed nothing. They took all their chances that fortune and their own sensible work provided and by their swift open tactics swept through the Everton defence like a March gale. Under the new laws much depends upon tactics and the side that is confident enough to set the pace and strong enough to maintain it usually scorers freely. It, was so on Saturday, when Liverpool put into operation the “W” formation, met with early success struck to their plans, and made it soon obvious that Everton had not the ghost of a chance of winning.


Everton's failure was all the more remarkable in view of the fact that the forwards were so splendidly supported by the half backs, the middle line was Everton's strongest link. No forwards could wish for better support than was offered by Peacock, McBain, and Hart, yet the attack was so obsessed by close and intricate movements as to become an easy prey to the rapier-like interception of McKinlay and Lucas. Insufficient use was made of Troup and Chedgzoy, and when they did get the ball they rarely had a clear field. Dean was hard working, but rarely effective, and both Kennedy and Irvine dribbled to excess and shot badly. Raitt and O'Donnell had a poor understanding. They were frequently caught too far apart, and showed little skill in dealing with Liverpool's fast wingers.


Harland made a surprise appearance in the Everton goal. It was his first outing since his injury early in the season. He made no real mistakes, although some of his clearances showed that he had not regained his old confidence. The Liverpool forwards were great opportunists. They kept the game open, passed judiciously, and never allowed a shooting chance to go abegging. Forshaw in spite of a damaged knee which handicapped his movements in the second half repeated his performance of the previous week by scoring three goals, which his general work was skilful and effective. Walsh and Chambers were excellent inside forwards. Crafty and clever, they both played a big part in Liverpool's success while Rawlings and Hopkin responded with fast and accurate runs that were difficult to check.


The Liverpool middle line was sound, but hardly as good as the Everton line. Bromilow was consistently good throughout the game, while Cockburn and McNabb were chiefly useful in defence. The combine play of Lucas and McKinlay was far in advance of that of the Everton backs. They tackled judiciously, and were a splendid pair. Scott was not overworked, but what he had to do he accomplished with confidence and skill.

Forshaw scored the first goal by heading through from a corner after six minutes play and Walsh following with a splendid single-handled effort at eighteen minutes, while Chambers added a third goal ten minutes before the interval. The fourth and fifth were scored by Forshaw and six minutes from the end Kennedy got Everton's only goal. Teams : - Liverpool: - Scott goal, Lucas, and McKinlay, backs, McNabb, Cockburn, and Bromilow, half-backs, Rawlings, Walsh, Forshaw, Chambers, and Hopkins, forwards. Everton: - Harland, goal, Raitt and O'Donnell, backs, Peacock, McBain, and Hart (captain), half-backs, Chedgzoy Irvine, Dean, Kennedy, and Troup, forwards . The attendance was 55,000, and the receipts £3,033.

Copyright - The Liverpool Daily Post and Mercury - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!