Liverpool Courier report



An 40,000 people at Anfield enjoyed one of the tit-bits of the local football season on Saturday. The meeting of Everton and Liverpool has a place on its own in local circles. Not only to the regular supporters of both clubs who turn out in strength, but many people not usually to be seen at a football match make a point of attending the tussle between the rivals. The Anfield ground held more spectators than ever before, and yet crowds of people were unable to gain admission the gate being shut a quarter of an hour before the start. The Enthusiastic supporters of the pastime were well rewarded by witnessing one of the best and most exciting matches ever played in the lengthy inter-club record. From start to finish the game was full of incident, and there was hardly a dull movement. The general level of play was excellent. It may not have been quite up to the class to be expected from Cupholders, and League champions, but it was very far indeed from discrediting the unique occasion. Both teams had pulled themselves together for the event. Neither has done well of late, but a genuine effort was made on Saturday to play to the last ounce, and the result was a splendid fought contest, brimful of excitement, and displaying in no slight degree the highly cultivated skill of modern League football.


There were changes in the personnel of both elevens, and these served to add a spice to the already interesting occasion, for none could be certain how the experiments would work. On the home side Parry was dropped and Robinson, took his place, the vacancy on the right wing being filled by Parkinson. West was still on the injured list, and Saul therefore kept his position. For Everton, George Wilson partnered Hardman on the left wing, this being the first time the newcomer had appeared as an inside player. Under almost perfect weather conditions the players toed the mark, Raisbeck's men having to face the sun and a slight breeze. Everton were the first to find their feet, and amid a continual roar from the excited crowd they attacked on the left, and in few moments Jack Taylor sent in the first shot of the day, Hardy saving. The Blues came again and Bolton narrowly missed with a close shot, which the Anfield custodian cleverly diverted round the post. Goddard changed the scene of operations with a fine run and centre, but he was poorly supported, and Taylor falling back, cleared, his lines while later Scott was in difficulties with Carlin, but the custodian was equal to the emergency.


And so the game proceeded at a fast pace, with exciting incident at either end. A continuous report would be a record of shots saved or missed at both goals, so rapidly did the play changes ends, and so numerous the incidents in the closing stages of the attack. A wonderful clearance by Saul when Hardman seemed certain to score must be mentioned, and just afterwards Young missed a good chance when Hardy had only half cleared a fast drive from Sharp. The Everton centre often found himself with openings, but his shooting was poor, and although the chances had been with the Blues it was the Reds who first scored. Parkinson receiving from Carlin got through, and despite the attentions of the backs he stuck to the ball and at close quarter beat Scott with a fast, low shot. The same fast end to end play continued. Occasionally the Everton front line put in some really brilliant forward work, the accuracy of the passing, and the perfect understanding between the men making a pretty spectacle, but the finish was lacking. Just before the interval Wilson was getting dangerous when Robinson dispossessed him, but in doing so the ball struck the Liverpool's man hand, and the referee awarded a penalty kick . Amid intense excitement Abbott took the kick, but Hardy's outstretched hand caught the fast driven ball, which flew over the crossbar, while a might roar went up from the crowd. The corner kick was about to be taken when the whistle sounded half time, Liverpool leading by a goal to nil.


The second half opened in much the same fashion as the first, and the fast and punishing pace was kept up. Both ends were visited, Young being prominent in the Everton attack, while Carlin nearly put his side further ahead. There was more method about the visitors' forward work than in that of their opponents and it had its reward when Makepeace initiated an attack on the right wing. Sharp and Bolton passed Dunlop and Bradley, and the latter tipped the ball to Young. The centre fastened on it, and with a quick drive sent the ball well out of Hardy's reach. The teams were thus level, and the Everton supporters cheered themselves hoarse. The game now became faster than ever. Both sets of contestants strained every nerve to secure the leading point, and with the forwards, shooting at every opportunity both goalkeepers were tested. At length Hardy was beaten. Following good work by the untiring left wing Young again got possession, and with a long oblique shot into the far corner of the net, the centre scored Everton's winning goal. A desperate effort by the Reds failed. At one time the bulk of the players of the two teams were crammed in the Everton goal-mouth. Twice the ball emerged from the melee, and was sent back, but at length it was got away, and punted down the field.


The reds claimed for a penalty, the allegation being that Makepeace had handled, but the referee disregarded a very strong claim. The game was continued with the same desperate earnestness for a short time, but it soon became evident that Liverpool had shot their bolt. Playing a winning game with confidence, the Blues had now the whip-hand of the Anfield defence. The home backs tired, and the faultless passing of the Everton quintette quite baffled them. Hardy was still to be reckoned with, and one long fast oblique shot he dealt with in masterly fashion. The Reds afterwards broke away, and they were attacking at the finish, but no more scoring was done, and Everton ran out winners of a memorable game by 2 goals to 1. There can be no doubt that the Blues well deserved their victory. They were the superior team, and only the defective shooting of Young prevented that superiority being shown on the score sheet at the interval. Young made ample amends in the second half by shooting two goals, both of them good points, with no element of flukeness about either of them. The strength of Everton lay forward. George Wilson coalesced well with Hardman, and with Bolton showing vastly improved form the whole line was very effective. Hardman, speedy and clever, was in a delightful vein. It was the left wing that did the work in the first half, Sharp doing little against Dunlop in this moiety.


The Liverpool forwards in comparison were uneven. Well watched by Taylor, Hewitt was unable to distribute the work in his best style, and combined play was lacking, the forwards generally making their own opportunities. Parkinson's goal for instance, was an individual effort, while both Everton's goals were the result of methodical combined work. The home forwards were very faulty in passing, a big percentage of the passes going wrong through inaccuracy rather than the alertness of the Everton halves. Goddard was the leader of the home vanguard; many of his centres were perfect but they were not turned to account. Cox failed conspicuously with one of them, and the left winger generally did not do himself justice. In the half-way line both sides were excellently served, and neither here nor at back was there much between the two sets. Raisbeck was infinitely better than at Birmingham last week. He broke up many a dangerous attack, but much too frequently his clearances carried the ball straight at an Everton player. Taylor was less showy, but he fed his forwards with greater accuracy. Makepeace and Abbott did much good work, and for Liverpool no complaint need be made against Robinson or Bradley. The former, in fact, showed that he is more valuable as a half than a forward, and the Reds would less rule if he maintained that position. Both sets of backs did well, although Dunlop apparently tired in the latter stages. He was a formidable barrier to Sharp and Bolton for the best part of the game, but in the latter stages the visiting forwards held the upper hand, and deserved their victory.

Teams: - Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Saul, and Dunlop, backs, Robinson, Raisbeck (Captain), and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard, Parkinson, Hewitt, Carlin, and Cox forwards. Everton: - Scott goal, W.Balmer, and Crelly, backs, Makepeace, Taylor (Captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Bolton, Young, G. Wilson, and Hardman, forwards. Referee A. Green.

Copyright - The Liverpool Courier - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!