Liverpool Courier report



Games between Everton and Liverpool are always extremely interesting, and Saturday's great contest at Goodison-park wills assuredly remains green to the memory of the forty odd thousand spectators who were fortunate enough to be present. It is safe to assert that never since the two clubs have been in opposition has one witnessed a more exciting encounter in which the nicer points of the game have been more prominent than was the case on Saturday. The ground presented a very fine appearance, the only pit being that the handsome new stand was not ready, otherwise every coign of vantage was promptly seized upon long before the match commenced, and the attendance will probably stand as a record for some time to come. With regard of the game it was splendidly contested, cleanly fought, and worthy to rank as one of the best witnessed between these keen rivals. It was certainly a memorable day in the history of local football, and it is fervently to be desired that the same healthy spirit that dominated Saturday's game will be the rule rather than the exception. Teams: - Everton: - Scott goal, R. Balmer, and MaConnachie, backs, Harris, Clifford and Makepeace, half-backs, Sharp (Captain), Coleman, Freeman, Young and Turner forwards. Liverpool: - Hardy, goal, Chorlton, and Crawford, backs, Robinson, Harrop, and Bradley, half-backs, Goddard (Captain), Stewart, Parkinson, Orr, and McDonald, forwards. Referee D. Hammond.


Liverpool prevailed by the odd goal of five. Certainly their success did not come out of its turn, for it was only the fifth occasion upon which the “Reds” had been able to extract full points out of 27 League encounters. If only for the sheer pluck and never say die spirit which characterised their efforts right up to the end they deserved their reward. Everton in the first couple of minutes of the game had the necessary fillip to spur them on –a wonderful advantage in these naturally exciting local contests. That their early success had an important bearing upon their play in the first half was evident for they dropped into a confident strides that would have upset even the best balanced defence. But Liverpool, as at present constituted, knew nothing of the old failing which characterised their players of days gone by, and though they were seemingly hard put to it they responded in a spirit that was bound to being about beneficial results. The style of play adopted by both sides was one that appealed to all followers of the game. Individualism was generally an absent factor, and probably one of the main features of the contest was that the teams had set out with a decided plan of campaign. Any fears that might have been entertained as to the cracking up of the Liverpool defence, were dispelled after the players had warmed to their work, so that the match all through was never suggestive of being anybody's game up to within five minutes when Parkinson gave his side the lead for the first time with what proved to be the winning goal.


Twice were the ultimate victors a goal in arrear. As indicated Everton opened their account from a spirited burst that would over whelm the best defence. Freeman had forced a corner, and following a splendid effort by Young, the ball rebounded from the crossbar for Coleman to head into the net. Hardy had no possible chance of averting the downfall of his charge, and for sometime afterwards his work was onerous and exciting. One save from Coleman, who had an open goal four yards in front of the keeper, was simply marvellous, and other brilliant feats did not fail to arouse appreciation from all quarters of the ground. Meanwhile, the Anfield forwards had not been by any means idle. Among several well-directed shots at Scott, it is open to doubt if the Irish international keeper was not beaten by Parkinson. The centre was well within the penalty area, and applied the finishing touch with a fast rising shot, which came from the underpart of the bar into the filed of play. An appeal was made that the ball had been over the prescribed limit when Scott was in the act of clearing, but it was such a doubtful point that the referee gave the defenders the benefit. Liverpool's persistency brought its result just before the change of ends, when the Liverpool centre parting to Goddard, who was unmarked, enabled his side to go on level terms before the interval. As like the first, as in the second, Everton forged ahead in the early stages. This time it was Freeman who obliged with one of his characteristic individual efforts. He had the better of a bout with Harrop, when he brushed aside, and slipping between the backs raced to within a few yards of Hardy. The Keeper was helpless, but still made a gallant effort to thwart the designs of the home centre. The equaling came in the nature of a surprise, as Stewart from long range sent in a ground shot, which after gliding off Balmer's feet passed into the corner of the net. With five minutes from the end, when Parkinson, gradually on his own, placed his side in the lead. It was a case of staying power at the finish and then Everton made several gallant attempts to share the honours, but the Anfielders were not disposed to relax their grip of the game, and though their methods did not altogether appeal to sportsmen, one could not really blame then for occasionally kicking into touch in order to preserve their lead.


Coming to the players, one must congratulate every member of both sides upon having played his part in thoroughly sportsmanlike fashion. There was no suggestion of that ultra keenest of feeling, which has been displayed in days gone by. The men were out to play the game, and that they succeeded in providing a really high-class encounter was testified over and over again by a thoroughly impartial crowd. Where all did well none could fail to observe the more than ordinary cleverness of the respective custodians. Hardy was the more subjected to pressure, and it goes without saying, that rarely has it been the lot of a football gathering to have witnessed an exhibition of custodianship such as was given by England's great keeper. Scott too, gave a great display, and had no chance with any of the shots that found the net. For the first time this season the Liverpool backs –Chorlton and Crawford –approximated the standard of their colleagues, but they were not do ready in their clearances as were Balmer and MaConnachie. Freeman and Parkinson always caught the eye, inasmuch as one was prepared for any development when these clever centres got off the mark. They met with a fair measure of success, and to the inside forwards was due in no small degree the opportunities which came their way, Stewart on the one hand, and Young on the other were invariably concerned in the movements of the centre forwards, and so far as wing play was concerned none did better than Goddard, whose flashes and dainty touches were generally admired. The half-backs were kept fully extended. Harrop played one of his best games, though Robinson was always in the picture and Bradley showed improvement on recent performances. Harris, Clifford, and Makepeace were a formidable line, and the ex-Bolton man made a capable substitute for Taylor, though he fell away somewhat in the concluding stages.

Copyright -  The Liverpool Courier - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!