Liverpool Courier report

Robertson scores from rebound after Kitchen saved his Penalty kick.

After the experience on Friday of rain, hail, sleet, and snow, there was a welcome change in the weather on Saturday, and there was every prospect before hostilities commenced that the great game would be conducted under something like favourable conditions, so far, at least, as the spectators were concerned. Seeing that it was the first time that our two leading organisations had ever met in an English Cup-tie one could quite understand the extraordinary interest, which was felt in the encounter at Anfield. The spectators began to turn up before one o'clock and from that time onwards there was a continual click of the turnstiles. The five-shilling reserve seats were well filled, and some time before the kick-off, there appeared to be few vacant places. The home team were the first to appear, closely followed by the Evertonians, both being enthusiastically received. At 2-30 the teams faced as follows: - Liverpool: - Perkins, goal, Robertson and Dunlop, backs, Wilson, Raisbeck (captain), and Goldie, half-backs, Robertson, Hunter, McGuigan, Fleming, and Cox, forwards. Everton: - Kitchen, goal, Balmer and Eccles, backs, Wolstenholme, Booth (captain), and Abbott half-backs, Sharp, Taylor, Young, Bowman, and Bell, forwards. Referee Mr.John Lewis.

Booth beat Raisbeck in the spin of the coin, and Liverpool had to face the sun and wind, Cox ran down nicely, with the result that McGuigan was fouled by Eccles, when he seemed to be making good headway for goal. A couple of free kicks followed to the Reds, who simply sent their supporters wild with joy, by the brave show they were making. From a good kick by Dunlop, the Liverpool outside left was again prominent, but was ruled off side. Still keeping up its pressure in great style, Cox centred grandly, Kitchen fisting out, but a moment later the Everton goalkeeper had great difficulty in negotiating a fine attempt by Fleming. There was no doubt about the fine play of the Liverpoolians at this period. Everton were continually on the defensive. In the course of a further attack by the home team Cox was badly kicked by Wolstenholme and the game was stopped for a few minutes, Cox having to have his leg attended by at the side of the field. During his absence Jack Sharp raced the ball down, but he could make no impression on the Liverpool defence, and again the home right was prominent. Cox was loudly applauded on resuming play, and after some interesting exchanges between the respective half backs he was again conspicuous, but ran the ball over the line. Fine placing by Raisbeck once more caused the Liverpool left to the prominent, and this time Cox centred grandly, and Fleming met the ball, but Kitchen brought off a fine though somewhat lucky save. Everton now began to wake up, and, after Wilson had brought down Bowman, the visiting left led gallantly by Bell endangered the Liverpool goal. From a pass by Bowman, Bell sent in a stinging shot, which Perkins negotiated, in splendid style. Following this, the play was kept for some minutes in the vicinity of the Everton goal, but although desperate efforts were made to capture Kitchen's charge, they were unsuccessful. Taylor was penalised for stopping the ball with his arm, and for some time neither side could claim and advantage. The pace had slackened considerably. Everton latterly began to show up better than at any other period of the game. They maintained for a few minutes this persistent pressure on the home goal. Bell forced a corner, which was rather luckily saved by Dunlop. Perkins threw away from Bell, but the ball went to Sharp, who, however, sent it rather wide.

The Liverpool defence could not force back their opponents, and the next to have a try at Perkins was Bowman, who was also wide of the mark. At last Liverpool changed the venue, but rather wide kicking marred good work. Dunlop and Goldie both seemed to be at fault in this respect. Raisbeck was penalised for fouling Young, and Dunlop cleared the free kick. From Raisbeck the ball went from Fleming to Cox, who ran down grandly, finishing with a beautiful centre, Hunter threw himself at the ball, and unfortunately for his side sent it to the wrong side of the upright. Liverpool were again having the best of the argument, and some very clever touches were seen, the Evertonians being penned in their own goal. With all this severe pressure it was marvellous how Liverpool failed to score. Just before the interval, a penalty kick was given against Young while within the penalty line for pushing Raisbeck in the back. Robertson took the kick, and Kitchen saved, but Robertson following up the ball into the net, amidst terrific cheering. Before the ball could be taken to the centre of the field, the whistle blew for half-time-Liverpool 1 goal Everton nil.

By the time the game was resumed every inch of space was occupied and the attendance was estimated at 30,000 people. The fine form of the Liverpool men had pleased their supporters immensely. It was quite a reversal of the experience of the Goodison park match. Everton were the first to make headway, but they were not allowed to trouble Perkins. Wilson brought upon himself the attentions of the referee. Continuing the attack, the Evertonians became more aggressive. There was more method in their attack than in the opening half, and before five minutes had passed, Booth gave an opening to Taylor, who made no mistake, banging the ball into the net, quite out of the reach of Perkins, who threw himself at it full length. This reverse roused the Liverpoolians, whose left wing did the bulk of the work. If anything the game was more exciting than ever, the players shared an exciting which. Both ends were visited in turn. Everton being the more dangerous. Bell put in some grand work, and from his centre Taylor, had another pop at Perkins, which was saved with difficulty. In a twinkling, the home side passed away to the other end, and Cox fastened on to the ball, and put in a fine centre. Hunter was in his place, and with a beautiful shot, which found its way into the net, just under the bar. Liverpool were again leading. It was indeed a brilliant effort on Hunter's part. After this the Evertonians again exerted pressure, Raisbeck and Robertson in particular being ever on the alert. The game again opened out, and there was a long kicking on both sides. The first dangerous attempts to score came from Young, who sent the ball at tremendous speed right into his hands of Perkins, who was as safe as a rock. A burst along the wing by Cox, resulted in a corner, from which, Raisbeck shot on, only to find Balmer in the way.

There was more splendid play by the Liverpool halves and forwards, and following a centre by Cox, it looked as if the goal would again be capture. The referee in impeding Bell, and then a brief stoppage accured at this part of the game though Fleming hurting himself detected Raisbeck. On resuming Liverpool aided by a free kick, attacked vigorous, but this time they could not get within shooting range of Kitchen. Still, the ball was kept in the Everton half by the flighty Liverpool men, who were very smart. Everton at this period seemed quite enabled to make headway, and the game to some extent was spoiled by the frequency with which the ball was over the line. Wilson was badly fouled by Bell, and Abbott, and from the free kick, Robertson placed the ball into the net without touching, this being the third time this had happened. A moment later, Raisbeck was penalised, and Eccles placed the ball well in. Eventually it was crossed to Sharp, who was standing in a favorable position, and had no difficulty in equalising the score, amidst terrific cheering. But sides were at it now, harder than ever, each goal being vigorous assailed. Both sides resorted occasionally to kicking out when danger threatened. Another brief stoppages here occurred, owing to an injury to Taylor, and following a free kick, Raisbeck cleared in the nick of time. The ball was in midfield, when the whistle blew, and the game ended in a draw of two goals each. The directors of both sides met after the match, and agreed to have the game replayed at Goodison-park on Thursday next. Kick off at 2-45. We are informed that the gate receipts at Anfield on Saturday just exceeded £800.

Copyright - Liverpool Courier - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!