Macintosh double in the derby

It Was Fast and Thrilling Football at Anfield
First Goal came After ‘Two Minutes’ Play
Blues Too Speedy for Reds
By Pilot. (Don Kendall)

Jimmy McIntosh’s headed “double” enabled Everton to defeat Liverpool at Anfield today in a grand 86th Merseyside “Derby” match. This enabled Everton to score their fourth away victory this season and it was Liverpool’s fourth home defeat of the season. This was victory beyond dispute by an Everton playing with a speed and precision unmatched by any side I have seen this season. Blame not Liverpool for defeat but praise Everton unstintingly for victory. This football would have beaten any team in the country, for Everton were tactically magnificent and individually brilliant. Everton were faster in thought and action and once they were a goal up in two minutes they never loosened their grip. McIntosh increased the lead at 64 minutes and only Shepherd’s kicking off the goalline prevented him taking a third goal. Quite apart from his goal-scoring I think the magnificent leadership of McIntosh had a tremendous amount vital points to the Blues Ted Sagar made his 18th “Derby” appearance and it was the 13th appearance of Jack Balmer, who captained the Reds. It was splendid to see the manner in which the spectators responded to pack towards the centres and this meant no crushing and with the ambulance man standing by waiting for a job. Mr. W. Harvey Webb the senior Liverpool director, was indisposed and unable to go to Goodison Park, for the reserve match as planned, so another director took his place. This was a comparatively small “Derby” attendance if one could accept the freedom of movement on the “kop” as a true criterion. Liverpool; Crossley, goal; Shepherd and Spicer, backs; Heydon, Jones (WH), and Paisley, half-backs; Woan, Balmer (captain), Stubbins, Haigh, and Liddell, forwards. Everton; Sagar, goal; Moore and Rankin, backs; Grant, Jones (TE) and Farrell (captain), half-backs; Fielding, Hold, McIntosh, Potts, and Eglington, forwards. Referee; Mr. A. C. Denham (Preston).

Liverpool won the toss and quite naturally Balmer elected to defend the Kop. The going was soft and Liverpool’s opening was swift, Stubbins getting the ball off Tommy Jones as it bounced awkwardly and trying to bring Liddell into action. Grant stepped in with a quick pass back for Moore to clear. Rankin allowed a ball to run dead and from the goal-kick in two minutes Everton took the lead through McIntosh. This was as sensational an opening as we had at the ground last season when Farrell scored in the first few seconds. Spicer stepped in to clear the ball as it came looming through but it crashed against Hold’s chest and bounced to the ground. Hold took time to get it under control but he found McIntosh with a short pass and when Fielding was joining in the movement the ball was hastily pushed outside for the opening corner of the game. This was floating in under the bar when McIntosh leant in and headed through from short range. McIntosh had followed the flight of the ball perfectly and the fact that he never took his eye off it stupefied the task. Liverpool struck back to win a corner on the left which Liddell centred far across for the in running Woan but the ball travelled a wee bit too fast and Rankin was able to clear. A faulty pass back brought mix up between Tommy Jones an Moore and with the ball running loose in the Everton penalty area, Balmer raced forward at top speed but had to take the shot quickly and could do no more than hook it past the rear post. Eglington cut inside with a 20-yard shot which however, he “pulled” a little too much. McIntosh, and Eglington changed places and then Eglington burst through only to be overtaken by Heylon so that the ball run dead.

Crossley To Rescue

The Liverpool right defensive flank were a little uncertain of itself whenever Eglington became active and Balmer had to go back to try and bring some semblance of order. Paisley quickly passed back when McIntosh was looming dangerous and then Crossley came to the rescue of the Reds. Everton had been much the better side and McIntosh rushed the ball through for Hold. Hold ran to the line and centred low to the in running McIntosh. Crossley dived outwards to catch the ball firmly in mid-air. Potts utilized the quiet through ball for Hold to race on and make a quick right foot which Paisley managed to divert with his body and it went away for a throw in. With his but he took the ball rather heavily on the body and had to receive attention before he could resume. This had been a particularly bright Everton opening and they were varying their tactics refreshingly from the short to the long game. Perfect men passing all first time between Potts. Fielding and Eglington saw Eglington race away and force a corner and from this he got the ball back again only to find Shepherd mantling firm. There had been plenty of thrills; plenty of good football and tons of excitement but so far we had not seen Liverpool whose position would have been made all the darker but for the perfect positional sense of Bobby Paisley. Paisley’s little juggling act with the ball on his head, he bounced it up and down six times, made the crowd roar with laughter and by the next moment the crowd was grasping as Eglington’s left foot cross-shot was diverted into the side netting. From the corner McIntosh let go a left foot shot which found Crossley pulling the ball down with both hands. It was 23 minutes before Sagar had any work to do at all and then Liddell lobbed the ball into the goalmouth for Stubbins to try a back header, which brought Sagar a simple catch. There was more danger in Liddell’s low centre following Paisley’s pass for Sagar had to get down quickly and the ball seemed to come off his chest before he grabbed it with both hands. Everton were interchanging positions cleverly and we saw Fielding at inside left combining with Farrell and Eglington and when Eglington’s centre, screamed in Spicer took no chances, but headed the ball behind for a corner, which Bill Jones contrive in keen away from Potts. Tommy Jones leapt in to head away when Liverpool made a quick raid, and then Farrell came again in open order after McIntosh’s cute back pass and Hold taking a shot quickly had too much lift on it. Everton were making sure to take every free kick quickly to get the full advantage of it, but now Farrell took one too quickly for the liking of the referee and he had to go back and have another attempt. Following this McIntosh was so certain that he had been fouled when brought down in the penalty area that he grabbed the ball away with his hands only to find that the referee, quite rightly had ruled “no foul.”

Farrell Delights

Farrell delighted with some splendid ball control, and strength in tackle, and when Hedyon swung in a centre Sagar was there to cut it out confidently. Potts put Eglington away and from the low centre McIntosh and Hold were about to slip it through, when Bill Jones managed to flick it aside, for a throw in. This was an amazing escape for the Reds. Spicer’s free kick became a corner to Woan of whom we had seen practically nothing, but Tommy Jones banged the ball to touch and this produced a corner to Liddell. This was cleared with conviction by Potts. Heydon slipped down when intercepting Potts and so the Blues had another corner which Eglington returned for Hold to head outside. Shepherd saved a certainly when one of those quickly taken free kicks saw the Liverpool defence wide open and Potts racing through and challenged. Shepherd covered a lot of ground to divert the ball away from Potts, but following another free kick, Shepherd’s head went up to prevent Eglington from coming through with a header. The corner actually started a Liverpool attack for Eglington pushed the ball back too far and Rankin had to be quick and accurate to hold up Liverpool’s sharp raid. The difference between the sides was that Everton were that one yard quicker to the ball and seconds quicker in action. At times Liverpool appeared to be standing still compared to the speed of action of these Blues for whom McIntosh forced another corner on the right which coincided with the first casualty young spectator.

One-Way Traffic

This brought more worry to the Liverpool defence for McIntosh, Hold, and Eglington all made efforts to bring Crossley into action, but found their attempts diverted. This had all been one-way traffic in fact Everton were dominating the proceedings just as much as Liverpool had the first half of the Goodison Derby. The difference was that Everton did not have the goals to show for their superiority. At last we saw Woan as he centred first time for Haigh to try a header which Sagar saved easily. Fielding paced by Spicer, to-ended a centre which McIntosh headed back for Potts to try a left foot shot which had speed by flashed just a little too high. The referee had a word to say to Fielding and Liddell after they had been in a close tackle and there was a lot of argument and bickering before Spicer was able finally to make the free kick which immediately brought a free kick to Everton in their own goalmouth. A brilliant back heel by Stubbins saw Liddell spring in with the sort of chance he likes but Grant leapt in to divert the ball back to Sagar and that was the end of that. Eglington went through from Fielding’s pass, and receiving the ball back from Hold, shot as he was tackled and the ball flashed across the face of the goal.

Half-time; Liverpool 0, Everton 1.
There is no doubt that in the first half Everton had recaptured all the glory of their Christmastice revival and not for years have I seen football played at such a devastating speed. Larely do we find Liverpool second best when it comes to speed and action but even the Reds themselves would be the first to admit that for speed Everton were magnificent.

Roar of the Kop

With the roar of the Kop behind them Liverpool crashed into action on resuming. Liddell being the spearhead of the raid as he moved inside menacingly, and when the ball came loose Woan hit a right foot shot which skidded by the near post. Liverpool gained a corner, but from this Everton swept away with first time passing with Fielding eventually breaking clear. Fielding lobbed over a centre to which McIntosh raced at top speed, and although his header went outside he stained himself as he went on to the barrier and had to receive attention. Nobody got the slightest respite with this football for Liverpool were now developing as speedily if not as accurately as Everton. This surely must have been one of the fastest matches in the whole series of “Derby” games. And the side defending one moment, would be attacking in the next spilt second. McIntosh went to outside right to make a centre which became a corner, but Eglington used the shot ball to Potts and Liverpool were wise to the move. This fighting spirit of Everton was exemplified by the manner in which Fielding saved back 30 yards to catch Liddell and force him into touch. Liddell was working like ten men to try and turn the tire, but Grant and then Rankin defied him and in keeping with the trend of this game away swept Everton for Fielding’s centre to be too strong to be effective. Crossley had to run out to save McIntosh’s centre following a quick threw in, and then Tommy Jones threatened by Stubbins took the chance and called on Sagar. There was no doubt that Bill Jones had brought a steadiness into a Liverpool defence too easily beaten in the first half, while Tommy Jones too had settled down after his nervous.

McIntosh Again

Everton increased their lead in 64 minutes with a goal made and scored by McIntosh. McIntosh on the proverbial sixpence tricked Bill Jones and pushed the ball aside for Fielding. Fielding made ground before centring accurately to the far post and McIntosh leapt over Hold and nod the ball into the back of the net. Everton nearly had another just after, Crossley turning over the top another Fielding centre, and Everton won two corners in the space of a minute as they tried to cash in on their advantage. The use of the long ball was doing nothing, Liverpool on one leg, and only the anticipation of Spicer enabled him to hold off Fielding as Fielding was racing though to an Eglington pass. Everton’s speed of action had Liverpool chopped again, McIntosh flicking the ball to inside left for Hold to take a quiet shot which flashed just outside. Then Rankin’s kick was headed on by McIntosh for Hold to race away but the ball dropped straight into the heads of the incoming and falling Crossley. There was no letting up by Everton who had set up a struggling pace and were keeping to it. And it was grand to see the manner in which Everton repeatedly switched play to Fielding unexpectedly. There is no doubt that Fielding was one of the great man of this struggle.

Final; Liverpool 0, Everton 2. Official attendants 48, 668

Copyright - The Evening Express - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!