Liverpool Football Echo report

This match was down for decision this afternoon at Anfield, and the reputation of the Lancashire cupholders and the prospect of a stiff game drew together a capital attendance, there being about 4,000 spectators on the ground when the players trod the field at four o'clock. Hannah won the toss, and set his opponents to face the sun, Clegg kicking off, McQuie at once checking, when Liverpool made an incursion in to the visitors' territory but the leather was worked over the ...[word ineligible] The Bury right winger made a clever sprint, but McLean checked. Miller, with the assistance of Kelso, making tacks for Lowe's charge, which was well defended. McLean on the left and Hannah on the right each showed capital defence, and it was all needed the visiting forwards working in a determined fashion, and forcing Ross to throw clear.

At the other end Wyllie was cleverly robbed by Warberton, Clegg making good progress towards Ross's charge, when a free-kick gave the visitors a chance which was not utilised. A sharp attack followed on the Bury goal, Wyllie sending across the goal mouth to Cameron, Miller at once receiving and scoring for the home side, a performance highly appreciated by the spectators. Bury then attacked in promising fashion, but their shooting was none of the best, while the defence on the home side left nothing to be desired. 

A free kick to Liverpool was well placed by Hannah, Miller having an ineffectual shot at Lowe. Bury were soon again on the attack, but could not get through. The three half backs on the Liverpool side played an excellent game, with the result that the attacking force had frequent chances of showing their shooting abilities. Wyllie putting in some good work on the right, and making an opening for Cameron, who scored with a grand shot.

Playing up in a most spirited fashion Liverpool continued to hold the upper hand, the next player to lower the Bury colours being McVean, who scored a grand goal with a shot which just got under the bar. Miller and Wyllie continued to show excellent form, each sending in likely shots, which Lowe was lucky to save. Several corners were conceded and cleared, the attack being confined to the visitors' end for ten minutes, when Miller registered a fourth goal against the Lancashire Cup holders. Wyllie nearly brought about another downfall for Bury, but the whistle sounded. Half-time result - Liverpool 4 goals, Bury nil.

Facing about the game was resumed at an accelerated pace, the first real attack being made by the home left wing. Baugh clearing with some difficulty. Good work by the Bury forwards only resulted in Ross stepping out to clear, when Liverpool at once went off in a line, a shot being scooped out by Lowe when the leather appeared fairly in the net. 

The visitors now pulled themselves together, and the leather was kept near to Ross for a time, a good shot being sent in from the left wing after McLaren had been grounded. Ross fisted out, however, and play was soon again in mid-field, good work being put in by the home halves in checking the rush of the visitors. Hands against McLean gave Bury a free kick, the backs leaving Ross to clear, this being satisfactorily done. The visitors did not evidently relish the idea of a bigger defeat, and tried hard to score a point, Clegg sending in a capital shot, which was headed out by Hannah, following which Liverpool had a look in, but Baugh made a good return, and the visitors renewed their attack, but again without success.


Copyright - Liverpool Football Echo

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!