Evans calls for more from Colly

Two-goal Stan Collymore sent Liverpool marching to the top of Premiership and plunged his former club deeper into relegation trouble at Anfield tonight. Collymore and Robbie Fowler gave Liverpool a two-goal cushion and, although Kevin Campbell scrambled a goal back before the break, Des Lyttle headed an own goal six minutes into the second half to put Liverpool back in command.

Forest skipper Stuart Pearce briefly raised his side's hopes of salvaging a point with one of his free-kick specials on the hour. But, within two minutes, substitute Patrik Berger, on for Fowler, hared down the left wing and Collymore was there to supply the near-post finish when the cross came in.

Liverpool's win took them two points clear of leaders Arsenal while Forest were left deep in trouble at the bottom.

Liverpool boss Roy Evans named an unchanged side following Saturday's 5-1 victory over Middlesbrough and Forest boss Frank Clark made one change from the side that held Newcastle to a goalless draw eight days ago Vance Warner coming in for flu victim Steve Chettle.

Forest found themselves under siege from the start and Chris Allen headed off the line when Mark Wright met Stig Bjornebye's third-minute corner with a firm header. The visitors looked to be in for a torrid night and Crossley did not help their cause by gifting Liverpool a sixth-minute lead. The Forest keeper's goalkick scarcely left the ground and, when Fowler nodded on, Collymore bore down on goal. Crossley raced off his line to clear but failed to make contact with the ball, leaving Collymore to roll the ball into an empty net.

Forest briefly rallied and Alfie Haaland went close with a downward header from Ian Woan's cross. But Liverpool quickly regained the initiative and Fowler tested Crossley with a downward header from Bjornbye's cross and then dragged his shot narrowly wide after latching onto Steve McManaman's crossfield ball.

Fowler made it 2-0 in the 26th-minute with a simple far-post tap-in after Collymore's cross from the left byline looped over Crossley. Crossley saved with his legs to deny Fowler after McManaman's pass carved open the Forest defence and dived low to his right to save Collymore's low drive as Liverpool stepped up the pressure.

But Forest clawed their way back into the game in the 33rd minute, Kevin Campbell stabbing home from close range after Woan's corner sparked off a goalmouth scramble.
Liverpool's response was a fierce, long-range effort from Ruddock which Crossley did well to tip over at full stretch.

Collymore was a foot wide with a low drive from the edge of the area three minutes after the break before Forest once again gave Liverpool a helping hand. Fowler challenged Crossley for Jason McAteer's 50th-minute cross and the ball looped to the far post, where Lyttle, attempting to clear, could only head into his own net.

Fowler was limping slightly and was replaced by Patrik Berger in the 56th minute and, four minutes later, Forest were controversially back in the game. Referee Graham Barber decided John Barnes had fouled Haaland just outside the Liverpool box. The decision was hotly contested but Pearce ignored the fuss and stepped up to curl his left-foot shot wide of Liverpool's defensive wall and into the bottom right corner.

If Forest entertained hopes of salvaging a point, they were swiftly snuffed out. Berger charged down the left within two minutes of Pearce's strike and, when he drilled a low cross to the near post, Collymore was on hand to tuck the ball past Crossley.

Copyright - Press Association

Article links

  • 4 - 2 Nottingham Forest


We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!