Derby report and picture by radio


A Pioneer Feat
For the first time today’s report by Stork of the local “Derby” Everton v. Liverpool, was sent to the “Echo” office direct by radio via the newest equipment for modern reporting –the “Echo” Televan. The action pictures accompanying the report were also transmitted by radio from the ground to the “Echo” office. In the new achievement the “Echo” acknowledges with thanks the co-operation of Everton Football Club, Liverpool Police and the Post Office authorities.

Defenders Were Stars of “Derby” Day Exchanges at Goodison Park
Hectic Exchanges Gave Big Crowd Plenty of Thrills
But No Goals To Cheer!
Stork’s Report Via Echo Radio Van
Everton 0, Liverpool 0.

Everton; Burnett, goal; Saunders and Dugdale, backs; Farrell, Jones (T.G.) (captain), and Lello, half-backs; Corr, Wainwright, McIntosh, Fielding, and Eglington, forwards. Liverpool; Sidlow, goal; Shepherd, and Lambert, backs; Taylor, Hughes, and Paisley, half-backs; Payne, Baron, Stubbins, Balmer (captain) and Liddell, forwards. Referee; Mr. J. Williams (Bolton).

It is “derby” day, and there is nothing in Liverpool like a “derby” day. There is something in it which does not appear in an ordinary league match – the tremendous rivalry of the fans and the keenest of the players for instance. As a general rule “derby” games are spotlessly clean and more or less open, and today it was as wide open as a barn door. Both teams have had their successes this season –Everton with two victories and Liverpool with one and a half share away from home – so on form there was little between them. As usual there was a tremendous crowd. Half an hour before the kick-off the ground looked packed and it would not surprise me if the record 78,299 was approached, if not beaten.
A Wonderful Slight
This is a new experience for me to comment in this way. Normally I am in telephonic contact with the Echo, and it was an historic occasion. I believe this is the first time in football history that a match has been reported by radio. The lord and Lady Mayoress (Alderman and Mrs J.J. Cleary) were present. Looking round the ground it looked a wonderful sight, and most of the gates were closed long before the start. As is usual in these local “derbies” the players came in pairs, led by the respective captains, Jack Balmer and Tommy Jones.

The Battle Begins
Dean on time the battle began and Liverpool, after a short rally in midfield, broke through and Baron seemed to be offered a chance, but it was not as good a chance as it looked, for the ball was just a shade in front of him, and Burnett was able to come out and clear. This led to a heated little argument between Liverpool and the Everton defence, and when Farrell fouled Balmer in more of a mix up than a foul it gave Liverpool the advantage of a free kick, but Payne lobbed the ball over the bar. Stubbins tried to place Balmer, but Jones stepped in to clear. The early minutes had gone to Liverpool credit, without any hurt to Everton. There was a roar of dismay when Lambert made a back-pass which sped beyond his goalkeeper and away for a corner. It was taken by Corr and, as usual, Tommy Jones came up. He got the ball but could not control if so that he could pressure it for a shot. Back came Liverpool through their left flank and while the attack looked menacing, it did not turn out that way for the Everton defence closed its ranks perfectly. The duels between the two young men of the sides, Payne and Dugdale, were interesting, and at this point neither could claim any great advantage over the other. Stubbins twice showed unselfishness in making a pass to what he considered a better-placed colleague, when some thought he might have “had a go.”

Defences on Top
McIntosh, who was moving about in his usual canny manner, tried to get Corr away, but the Irish winger found Lambert a stumbling block in the real sense of the word, for Corr actually fell in a tackle and could not regain his feet in time to catch up with the swiftly running ball, which went for a goal kick. At this point Everton were enjoying a spell of attack, but if one could glean anything from what had gone before, this game was going to be a triumph for defences. So far, neither had flattered under whatever pressure they had to bear. Saunders sliced a clearance and Dugdale was guilty of a mis-header and shortly afterwards Liverpool gained a corner and Payne took a leaf out of Corr’s book with a perfect centre. Burnett came out for the ball, touched it forward and then went on to make a complete clearance. I noticed he was shaking his hand afterwards as though he had hurt himself.

Good Chance Missed
Stubbins twice bounced the ball on his foot, in an effort to deceive Saunders, but the idea did not prove successful, for it was the Everton full back who took the ball. Corr and Fielding engineered a movement which culminated in the ball being swept across by Fielding right to Eglington’s head. The left winger was close enough into goal to have opened the day’s score but he failed to fine the target.

Liddell “Special”
Stubbins, beaten Dugdale several times before he finally glided the ball forward to Payne who promptly sent it hurtling into the middle where Liddell came along with a terrific shot which crashed against the upright. It came back to the same player, but this time Liddell fired widely over. This was the spur of things to send the crowd crazy. Scene would consider that Liverpool were a shade unlucky not to be in front considering they had hit the woodwork, but Evertonians would rightly say that they should had two goals, for Eglington was afforded another chance, and the ball came to his “right” foot, which of course is his left but he screwed his show wide of the mark.

An Everton Rally
Hereabouts, Everton were attacking and Wainwright did his best to set McIntosh off, but Lambert was just a shade too quick, and was able to push the ball back to Sidlow. A half-second later Wainwright strode up to a ball with the intention of carrying away the back netting, but he failed to connect with the ball which went out to Corr. Before he could get it under control he was dispossessed. There was a big shout from the Liverpudlians when Stubbins took advantage of a Jones miscalculation and moved in to shoot but the auburn-haired centre lofted the ball over the bar.

Goalmouth Incidents
Saunders stepped in the way of a Liddell centre, and the result was a corner which should, in the normal course of things have proved of value but this one did not because the flag kick fell short. Corr came along with another good length centre, but McIntosh was beaten just in the nick of time. Backwards and forward the game swayed and Liddell crossed the ball from the goal-line, over to Payne who, however, had run just a shade too far forward, so that the ball passed behind, and to an Everton defender.

Hot on the Trail
Liverpool were hot on the trail of a goal and Payne was only just foiled at the last second by Dugdale. The ball, however, was not cleared away, and Taylor slipped it over to Balmer, who with a neat back-heel saw Liddell with the his strong and forceful tactics try to beat through something which in his case at all events was too strong for him. Nevertheless Liverpool were putting in some work, and it the combined efforts of Everton to prevent trouble. After Corr and Fielding had got together to crack the ball into Sidlow’s hands. Liddell fired off one of his specials from 24 yards out. But it was well for Burnett that it was cannoned out, for it would have been a troublesome moment for him, as there was any amount of power behind the shot. So far there had not been a dull moment. In fact, it was grand stuff with both teams producing goal incidents, good defence and sound attacking ideas. What more could a football fan desire? Fielding suffered a slight injury which brought about the first stoppage. Everton were awarded a free kick and Lello swept the ball over to the right wing where Corr and Wainwright stood in waiting. The ball came to Wainwright’s head and then straight into Sidlow’s arms.

Sidlow in Action
Another free-kick to Everton, this time by Farrell and again Wainwright called upon Sidlow. Near the interval a corner to Liverpool led to a spot of trouble in the Everton goalmouth, which only came to an end with a fiery drive by Taylor which hit Tommy Jones in flight. Almost straight from this Corr put in a shot under the Liverpool crossbar which Sidlow patted out. It came back to Wainwright, who, although in an awkward position, tried unsuccessfully to stub the ball over the line.

Half-time; Everton 0, Liverpool 0

The first few minutes of the second half were on the quiet side, but then Everton got together and Farrell, backing up his attack, opened a way for Corr. The winger twice found the ball coming back to him after he had delivered it into the goalmouth, and on the third occasion he put the ball right across the field, but again the Liverpool defenders came out successfully. Later Wainwright with one of his terrific bursts of speed, almost caught the Liverpool defence standing, for he was only subdued in the last second. McIntosh shot outside from an offside position, and then Corr, who was showing greatly improved form decided to lend his aid in defence, but his pass back did not reach the desired spot. It went to a Liverpool man, who promptly swung the ball into the Everton goalmouth, were Dugdale breasted it back to Burnett. McIntosh twice slewed the ball outside and a much nearer thing to a goal came when Baron hit a really hot one, which Burnett saved with every confidence. The Everton goalkeeper saved again this time from a Stubbins header.

Delightful Duels
It was end-to-end football, and then Wainwright, using his speed forced a corner of Sidlow, but it was not productive. At this stage Everton were showing slightly the better form; they were more open in their tactics this half, now that the Liverpool defence had more to look after. Duels between Stubbins and Jones were a delight to watch. If one beat the other it was by football skill only. It had to be granted, however, that Jones was more often than not in command. Everton gained another corner, and when Fielding shot Shepherd kicked off the goalline. This was somewhat of a let-off, but not more so than when Liverpool carried play into Everton quarters and how the ball failed to finish in the net goodness only knows.

Chances Missed
Baron for one, should have scored but there were opportunities for others which were not accepted. Fielding, McIntosh and Corr got together in a three-piece-suite which ended when Corr dropped the ball in the Liverpool goalmouth close in so close that Sidlow had to save.

Successful Challenges
This game slowed down a lot, no doubt due to the heat of the day, Lello who had done magnificently all through “found” Corr with a free kick but the Irishman was challenged successfully by Lambert. There was one occasion when Liverpool promised trouble for Burnett and Jones had came back to check Stubbins long enough to give Burnett time to make a flying catch.

Great Chance –Gone!
Wainwright made a hook shot which passed high over, but when the Everton inside right made his next move it should have been labeled “goal” for he put the ball on a plate for Eglington, who instead of shooting passed the ball right across the face of the goal. Whether Eglington fought he was offside or not I do not know, but there is a rule of football which says “Play the whistle” and it had not sounded. A little later Wainwright headed into Sidlow’s hands, and at this point Everton were well on top. An intended clearance by Dugdale cannoned off Stubbins to let in the Liverpool leader who tried to run the ball along the goal line, but his final move was too strong. Wainwright had another tilt with Sidlow but the goalkeeper proved one too many for him.

Hairline Decision

McIntosh was caught in a hair-line off-side decision, nevertheless it was a correct one. Everton’s football was along the carpet, and it seemed leisurely sort of staff yet it created much trouble to the Liverpool defence. Hughes who had been jas tas solid at centre half for Liverpool as Jones had been for Everton was almost beaten by McIntosh who, however, was guilty of a push. It had been all attack on Everton’s part in this half, yet Shepherd surprised spectators and the Everton team into the bargain, with a long ball from the touchline which flashed across the Everton crossbar and Burnett had to edge it away for a corner.

Final; Everton 0, Liverpool 0. Official attendance; 70,812.
Copyright -  The Liverpool Echo  - Transcribed by

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!