Liverpool Mercury report

Liverpool journeyed to Burton to play the Swifts in the above competition on Saturday. The weather was very fine, and for a second time this season a home club have benefited by Liverpool’s success in having a record gate. With but little delay Mr. Shelton had the teams lined up for kick off.

Bogie kicked off on behalf of Burton, who played with the sun in their faces. Liverpool were the first to attack, McBride sending in a fine shot, which was as finely met and punted clear by Furniss.

Mason, on the Burton right, made a short dribble, but McBride robbed him, and sent across to Gordon, who failed to reach the ball just as it was going over the line. Elkins secured from the kick-off, and, getting nicely away, centred, but McLean sent out of danger.

The Burton forwards began to exhibit splendid dash, and a little over-weaning confidence by M. McQueen let in the left, and the Liverpool goal was in immediate danger, Mason putting his toe to the ball when very close in, but McOwen saved.

Although McLean by a tremendously hard kick sent well down the field Burton soon returned to the neighbourhood of McOwen, and Hannah and McLean were called upon to do some energetic work, which, to their credit, they did well.

A long spell of midfield play followed. Stott then had a shy at Jones’s charges, but missed by a foot, while Gordon and McVean initiated this non-success a little later on. A sharp dash by Burton gave Munro a very easy chance, which he made a sad mess of, much to the spectators’ disgust.

Immediately after this slip, Liverpool wakened up a little, and Jones, Furniss, and West had plenty to do to keep out their visitors, but eventually McVean scored, and Liverpool were leading at half-time by a goal.

Upon resuming the visitors rallied, and then the ball not being to Hannah’s liking the game was delayed while another was produced. For some time Liverpool were in their opponents’ territory, but were not able to get a shot through. Stott, McVean, and Gordon made meritorious efforts, but a lack of combination ruined most of the opportunities.

The game continued to be of a ding-dong nature, neither side claiming any advantage. Towards the end of the second half the Burton team came out strongly, and showing rare combination, made matters warm for Liverpool; and Munro at length beat McOwen with a fast low show, which McOwen made a gallant effort to divert.

Immediately afterwards Ekins, the outside left, put in a splendid run over half the length of the field, but McOwen took the ball away from him just when he was about to shoot. No further scoring took place, and a keenly contested game resulted in a draw of a goal each, Liverpool thus still keeping their record unsullied by a defeat, an honour not held by any other League club.

Copyright Liverpool Mercury, 23-10-1893 - Transcribed by Kjell Hanssen

Article links



We've got all the results from official games, appearance stats, goal stats and basically every conceivable statistic from 1892 to the present, every single line-up and substitutions!